Bowsers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Anyone into bowsers? Spotted these in Lincolnshire looking worse for wear !
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3dfba55e2a8d68c8.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Bowsers

'Into' bowsers? You are kidding, right?

Interesting pic though - any idea of the history/provenance of these?

(serial numbers.....?! sorry, couldn't resist)

Member for

24 years 2 months

No it was a serious question!!
There are still a number of ex-RAF vehicles lying around and they are just as much a part of history of the RAF as a Spitfire is. No fuel - no flying!!!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

LOL. I meant the term 'into'!

Agreed, they are vitally important, and of historic value - not only to keep the aircraft flying, but also in appreciating the massive logistical needs of each squadron. Are these ex-RAF?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes I believe they are!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Guys

talking about Bowsers and Spitfires - how about this - Allan
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3dfcae2c3fd13de0.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi David , Do you know if these are for sale ??? , I would be very interested in one - It would make something different to display with my tractor at shows ,etc , there is a chap called John Moffit who has a TED20 with a bomb trolley and a very realistic bomb , I don't suppose anybody has a phooto of it ???

Thanks

Alastair

Member for

24 years 2 months

Alistair - I will ask the owner about them . There are about ten if my memory serves me right in various states.

Member for

24 years 2 months

where abouts in lincolnshire are they? unless you'd rather not say.

regards, steve

ps- merry xmas everyone

Member for

24 years 2 months

So a Bowser is just another name for a fuel truck?

The only Bowser I knew anything about until now was a Nintendo character that Is Mario & Yoshi's arch-enemy. :)

Guess you learn something every day.

Member for

24 years 2 months

>Alistair - I will ask the owner about them . There are about
>ten if my memory serves me right in various states.

Hi David , I would appreciate any info regarding the bowsers I also have another friend who is interested in purchasing one as well , would they fit on a 7.5 ton lorry or would they have to travel on a low-loader , do you know if any have the pumping gear still intact , I think they were powered by a small "donkey engine" usually a JAP single cylinder 600cc side valve

Regards

Alastair

Member for

24 years 2 months

They will fit easily on a seven and a half tonne lorry. My company travels to Scotland so I could ask them about transport. I will see the owner in the next few weeks and get you some more information
Can you give me an approx date of manufacture and by whom?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Steve- let me sort out some prices first so I can find some good homes . How about finding a pic of one in use ? Love to see one!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have no idea , the JAP engine was used for many applications , I have one dated 1948 which is bolted to my rotovator as for the bowser's themselves I think it's time to ask Uncle Keith??

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry Alistair - I meant the bowsers themselves !! I would appreciate a date or manufacturer !

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi David , I would reckon they date around the late 40's / early 50's , but thats only guess work , I'e Emailed KeithMac to ask him if he could date them . Did you manage to get any other shots of them ??

Alastair

Member for

24 years 2 months

The photograph is terrible as it was pouring down when I took it and I couldn't really risk the camera that much !!! I will get some more !

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Chaps - I've been in my photo archive again. Here is a shot of an AEC Mammoth refuelling chipmunks at Eastleigh way back in 1964. Just to the right behind the Mammoth is a Leyland "Hippo", a slightly larger capacity Bowser. If you look carefully between the Chipmunks and the "Mammoth" there are a couple of Bowsers of similar design to the ones that David shot. By the 60's all refuelling bowsers were vehicle mounted, the ones in the background were Oil Bowsers full of OMD.370 for filling things like Beverleys, Shackletons and Hastings. The saying was you only needed a navigator outbound, you just followed the oil slick home! I'd date the bowsers in Davids photo at late 40's to late 50's, certainly no newer.

KeithMac
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3e023c323a43b7c1.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Another quality photo Keith !!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi David , Is there any other info on the bowsers , are they for sale ?? , if they are I would be very interested and I know of someone else who is interested in them , thanks

Alastair