JU-52 "experience"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

This afternoon, I was lucky to be invided on a flight in the Lufthansa Ju-52. Shot this pic out of the open window in the rear. BW Roger

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Beautiful shot Roger. :) I always wonder about the wisdom of Junkers' corrugated construction-surely the aerodynamic penalty was greater than the saving in structural wieght??

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice shot Roger but I confess my first reaction was -
'Invasion markings'! :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good old "Tante Ju"!

Love that photo.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Great stuff - marvellous photo !!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Another one. BW Roger

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wow! If he'd have looked right, the view enjoyed by a German paratrooper as he jumped. Great shot!

Member for

24 years 2 months

And another. BW Roger

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice shots. One thing I've always wondered.....
Does the corrugated construction give any aerodynamic benefit, or disadvantage?
Why did they build it like that?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sitting here with my jaw hanging open... that first picture's just incredible... :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Excellent pics Roger. Looks like a good time was had. :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Great pics!

I remember walking home from work in Edinburgh and seeing the Ju52 flying overhead! Thought I was seeing things at first! Papers the next day said she was over at Edinburgh Airport to promote Lufthansa's new service (can't recall where to).

Best thing was we got flypasts outside the office for another two days! :D

Member for

20 years 10 months

This topic was discussed in a similar thread but I can't seem to find it so I'll tack it onto this one. We had a Ju-52 at the local airshow here today and I thought to ask about the mirrors on the engines. It turns out that they are used for nothing else than to sink the center engine prop. The image reflected to the pilots shows the center engine's prop arc through the right/left engines prop arc. If the center engine is out of sink with the particular engine whose mirror you're looking at the strobing propellor image will appear to wander clockwise or counterclockwise depending on whether it's spinning faster or slower. The pilot then adjusts the engine RPM until the strobing prop image appears to stand still. At that point the engines are "in sink" or spinning at the same RPM.

Man those Germans were smart. :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Umm...I like the first shot especially. So, how exactly did you get it ?

I get spoilt with views of D-AQUI from my office window most weeks as Frankfurt Main is 20 miles up the road. It came chugging over my flat at about 500 feet the weekend before last. Lovely to see it from inside.

Member for

24 years 2 months

There is a window in the back that can be opened. I strapped my camera with a 17 mm wideangle to my wrist, stretched my arm as far out as posible, and shoot forward. That's all. BW Roger

Member for

24 years 2 months

Another one, this time with 28 mm. BW Roger