Supermarine Graveyards

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

front turett

682al,
do you have drawings of or know of a spare turret base for the fn5? we have substantial remains of a front turett sans the mountin base and would love to repair this and restore it using a base or havine a new one made.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Originally posted by Troy Tempest
With the ongoing problem of cockpit instruments giving off radiation in museums it was probably a smart move not to try and import a radioactive Swift

I have to laugh at this, there is probably about the same amount of radiation in your wrist watch's luminous markings as there is in the instruments of a warbird!
Cheers.................

Member for

24 years 3 months

" have to laugh at this, there is probably about the same amount of radiation in your wrist watch's luminous markings as there is in the instruments of a warbird!
Cheers................."

Well you may well be right Warbird,but browsing through the channels the other week I watched a bit of the Antiques Roadshow,and they set aside about 5 minutes of that programme describing the dangerous nature of the luminous Radium dials on old watches,so they obviously feel that even that small amount is potentially harmful.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Radiation issues

To get the most informative idea on the potential harmful effects of radiation, in the theatre we are in , the forum on International Cockpit Club has a thread under 'Information Requests' which has some very informative links on the subject.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yes.. unfortunately this is a very real issue for the museum fraternity and a lot of resources are being put into solving the problem. When you have the likes of the HSE looking at this and possibly acting on any findings, it pays to be careful. Whilst my comment on importing radioactive Swifts was definately tongue in cheek, the concern about cockpit instruments is a very real issue.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Originally posted by Merlin3945
Flood,

I would agree with that one. I talked to a 603 (City of Edinburgh) pilot about 3 years ago. A long conversation as I remember missed quite a few aircraft going by but it was worth it. People are better than planes anyday. Anyhow he told me of flying his spit to the back of a carrier off Scotland and then getting ferried back to the coast to do it all over again. The aircraft were lend lease and needed to be off british soil or Britain would be liable for the cost or something like that so he was there to see them pushed of the side of the carrier.

Hmm… One of a fairly rare breed then – an RAF pilot with the experience of landing on an aircraft carrier?
Spitfires could not land on carriers without a few modifications, so I imagine your chap was actually landing Seafires. But this would be coupled to the mention of being off British soil – American-built lend-lease aircraft certainly, but Seafires/Spitfires?

Have to agree with you that you get a better standard of conversation talking to people than aeroplanes…;)

Flood.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Re: SPITFIRES & SWIFTS

Originally posted by Robbie

If they do exist - and I think we are talking about quite a lot - according to the rumours!! !

Yes, loads and loads of rumours and nothing substantial recovered. That is my point. If something was to substantiate just one of these big cache rumours then it would get interesting, but a very, very small percentage of what has been rumoured is ever likely to emerge.

MH

Member for

24 years 3 months

On the subject of Spitfires landing on carriers,there were a relatively small number of Mk.V's which were fitted with arrester hooks,but didn't have the folding wings.They were used by the FAA to train future Seafire pilots.
One of these,BL628,survives today in Australia and is currently under restoration to airworthy condition in stock Mk.V configuration.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yes (see the 'with modifications' bit in my last post) - but that was not what I was referring to...
None of them were used by 603 Sqn at the end of the war!

Flood.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Flood
Yes (see the 'with modifications' bit in my last post) - but that was not what I was referring to...
None of them were used by 603 Sqn at the end of the war!

Flood.

Hi Flood,

Just retelling the story exactly as I was told.

And as far as I am to believe lend / lease applied to aircraft made with American money / materials or am I wrong.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Sorry - my last post was directed at Ant.

As to American supplied money - I don't know. Would we have made Spitfires/Seafires using American money - or would they have preferred that we bought/used their products instead? Not heard of any RAF bombers being broken up immediately at the end of the war - they seemed to go into store for a few years before being scrapped, as did quite a few of the early war Spits that served in OTUs upto 1945.
Interesting thought...

Anyway, the idea of a store of near perfect aircraft, forgotten about for 60-odd years is just another Holy Grail - something so perfect it is unattainable. Be happy with the dregs from crash sites and the bottom of undeveloped scrap-yards: they are the best you can hope for now!

Flood.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Holy Grail indeed but remember all that German kit found in the states a few years ago - props etc. plus Glacier Girl etc. Small percentage I know but... always worth checking such a story out just in case!

Member for

24 years 3 months

good grief!!!

How come this has never been followed up on?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I read that website a year or two back and, IIRC, the powers-that-be suddenly put a block on any further ferreting around.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yeah - seem to recall that people died or something trying to check it out.

Flood.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Well if anybody's got any real proof, post a photo. I bet that not one which contains real proof will be posted.(please prove me wrong someone.;) )

OK - I will collect on that bet - there you go, real proof of some Supermarine Swifts being buried in a hole in Woomera South Australia

smiles

Mark Pilkington

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yay! Brilliant!

Actual evidence for once.

or is it photopshop? :)

Moggy

Member for

14 years 5 months

Just want to weigh in here and say that is the first time in thirty years of quietly looking into these stories that I have ever seen a photo of whole aircraft disposed of in a pit. Remarkable if genuine, and no reason to suppose it's not.

Member for

24 years 3 months

They were used in on the the Nuclear tests in Oz to determine the impact of explosion on airframes etc