Angus McVitie RIP

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have just heard via JDK, that one of the great Shuttleworth collection pilots Sqd Ldr Angus McVitie passed away on the 13 January.

Many older forum members may well remember his displays in the collection aircraft and in the former Cranfield based Spitfire XIV NH749 / G-MXIV.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Angus on the first post restoration test flight.

RIP.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

He also test flew Denny Dobsons former Pitts G-BIRD.
RIP.

Neal

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's sad news.

Always remember his displays at OW especially in AR501.

Cheers

Paul

Member for

20 years 5 months

Sad news. Great display pilot and a really nice guy.

Member for

20 years 4 months

What sad news. Angus was indeed the quiet guy whose talents were of the very highest order. His demonstrations of the Gull were superb and he had an affinity with that aeroplane which was fantastic. It really must have broken his heart when Shuttleworth sold it to NZ. It does look forlorn in the Auckland terminal building. That said Angus was at home in virtually anything and his laid back style as a test pilot was a joy to see. Despite some frights he was always willing to assist with prototype PFA aircraft though his patience must have been tested when the undercarriage on a Glasair had not been fitted with a servicable limit microswitch so the gear continued to retract until it pushed up the upper wing skin....!!! Uncomfortable.
Angus - your like is rare indeed. May you rest in peace with the angels - and test your own wings for their initial permit to fly. All the Shuttleworth enthusiasts will remember you always.
Goodbye,
Trapper 69:(

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have just seen this on the forum and would like to say how sad I feel at the loss of this great man.
I will never forget being at Shuttleworth the day he performed his last ever display folowed by a well deserved round of applause.

R.I.P Angus

Member for

24 years 2 months

Originally posted by Skybolt
What sad news. May you rest in peace with the angels - and test your own wings for their initial permit to fly. Goodbye,

Trapper 69:(

Nicely put :)

and seconded by me :(

Moggy

Member for

20 years 4 months

Popped into Old Warden this morning on my way to another funeral............getting old and seem to go to them more often. This one was a cracker - even the deceased would have enjoyed it - and perhaps he did but etheareally.
Spoke to Betty who said they did not have a book of condolences for Angus so I suggested she have a word with Ken Hyde for one to be placed in the temporary shop. It also occured to me that it would be a nice gesture if there was a book of remembrance at OW to commemorate all those folk, pilots and engineers and volunteers of SVAS, who have given so much of their time and talents in the past but who were no longer with us. Obviously some filter system would be needed but those who had given exemplary service could go in with perhaps a person to turn the page each week so visitors would have the chance to learn of past characters without whom the Collection would have been much the poorer today. Neil Williams corner is always a spot for me to reflect on so many happy days in the past and it is nearly 30 years since he was so tragically killed. What do you think??
Cheers,
Trapper 69

Member for

4 years 2 months

I am gutted.  He tought me to fly in Beagle Pups at Cranfield in 1987.

Member for

17 years 5 months

He used to do air tests at Rogers too.