Ryan PT22

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Hi everybody,

My latest acquisition continues to delight at Old Warden. Several of the Shuttleworth pilots have had a go in it and all end up chuckling afterwards. I think its the engine - the Kinner sounds like nothing else around.

Its a cracking machine in beautiful condition and I am dead chuffed with it.

The PT22 has acquired a reputation over the years for being a pilot killer. As with all these old machines, there are some aspects of the design that will hurt you if you are careless.

Here is an interesting old magazine article that better explains the design brief and handling qualities:-

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepPT-22.html

Whilst designed for a similar purpose, the PT22 has a much narrower envelope than the Maggie, cruising at a similar speed yet stalls at twice the speed and can only carry 2/3 the weight.

As with my Magister, nice to get the Breighton machine (the only other flier in the UK) alongside mine at some stage, especialy at a display.

I am in communication with the owner so unlike the Magister scenario (shame..) it could well happen.

Rumour has it that a certain magazine not entirely unconnected with this forum(!) is keen to do a feature.

HP

Ps.Come and claim your ride Damien B! A chivalrous Mrs Man on the Fence has had a ride already after the old man stepped aside for her (what were you after?!)

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

HP, a great addition to the airshow circuit, and where better to show her off than Old Warden. Here's a couple of pictures for you.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi everybody,

My latest acquisition continues to delight at Old Warden.

I'll confirm that.

For me it was one of the highlights of the last Sunset Show.

Such a great sound 'misfiring' its way around the display line with that distinctive bang-bang-bang-put-put noise - helpfully explained by the commentator who also did a cracking job.

Nice one Hairy. What's next? ;)

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

As with my Magister, nice to get the Breighton machine (the only other flier in the UK) alongside mine at some stage, especialy at a display.

Constantly working on the Maggie scenario Peter - how about the Falcon, 3 Maggie's and the Hawk!! Now that would be something! Don't lose the faith...!

Member for

21 years

Cant add to the piccies at the moment however she is a stonking plane that induced a massive grin on Mrs Fence's face (or was that something you said HP :D ). Many many thanks for getting her up as it were.

It also has her hooked on Old Warden....which is nice.

Member for

20 years

Display scenarios/ next acquisition

Hello all,

Nice to see such fantastic images of my planes! Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to post them.

Nice also to read such positive feedback on the addition of the PT22 to my growing collection at Old Warden.

I have to say I bought it on a whim (coz I'm like that...!) and wasn't sure if it would 'fit' at OW. It seems that my fears were unfounded.

I've now got to find room for the crashed (restorable) G-BPUD that I bought with it!

The arrangements work so well for me at OW - the guys are just fantastic, I cannot wish for better engineering support. Having been ripped off in the early days of old wooden plane ownership, those days are over. Hurrah for Shuttleworth.

Formation scenarios? I'm up for anything really. Count on me to join in on something relevant and exciting.

Check out my new thread on the Falcon BTW.

Next acquisition?

'Something serious' really depends on a number of factors. However, I think that 'the biggie' could happen in 2 years for me.

Whatever it is, it has to be acceptable to Old Warden, they have to be happy to look after it for me. I also realise that I would not be able to fly it for the Winter months. However, it would be a pristine 'top of the market' example so it will probably take all Winter to polish it up nicely again after the season!

I would also like it to have 2 seats and ideally dual controls otherwise the lovely Nicky might be dischuffed, and we dont want that!.

Lets see how the bank balance is in 2 years. However, it is all looking 'do-able' from my point of view.

Funnily enough, although I guess that the idea will grow on me nearer the time, I have no burning desire to fly a warbird and probably won't fly it myself very much. However, I cant wait to see Andy Sephton and his pilots putting it through its paces.

The Collection has a Spitfire so I guess I should consider a P51.

As I say, lets see whats around when I've got the ackers, not only to buy it but to pay for probably £50k p.a. insurance and the (likely) £3000k per hour to operate it!

Whatever happens, I'm 51 now so if I dont do it by 55, I probably won't.

All the best

HP

Member for

19 years 11 months

HP

Looks like a lovely wee aircraft, and can't wait to get to OW to see and hear her, maybe Sept. But can I add a big thank you to yourself, and others like minded, for investing your hard earned cash in our aviation heritage; keeping these planes flying and allowing us, and future generations, to see, hear and photograph them where they belong, in the air.

Ken

Member for

21 years

Yay a P51 Molesworth will be pleased (chiz) :D :p
Seriously, whatever you get I cant wait. The Ryan is a superb acquisition to the Hairy collection. I'm sure whatever you get you'll get bitten by the bug plus Andy will be egging you on to fly it.

51!! Is that the bike or the rider???? :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

Gets my vote - it's a beaut.

:D

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi HP, yor ol' m8 airba somfin was seen today araand the skys of Filltun wiv a Mk19 strapped 2 is baak, cor blimey guv fair rippped the sky abart he did!
E' add a smile free fut wide e' did wen e' came darn!
Gora go, spelin clas is at niyn.
tara! (no not er!)
Ta Ra!
Shud av ceen the landin! bleedin good it wer, went on 4 ever! don't no wot 1 e's pain 4 tho!! :D :D :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Molesworth has his own secret plans to lure our esteemed Mr HP into more interesting aeroplane ownership. But we can't complain so far...

Member for

21 years

A couple from me

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice Hairyplane ( the PT22 ) although I have to say the Magister is my personal favourite , I don't suppose you would consider trying to buy Sir William Roberts Magister which is now ground bound and looking sorry for itself up here ?? , another Strathallan aeroplane at Shuttleworth to go with their Lysander !!

Member for

20 years

Strathallan Maggie

Hi AGEORGE,

A subject dear to my heart.

A real shame that the Strathallan Maggie is shut away and not flying. My understanding is that it is tired and needs a rebuild.

I am probably better informed than most about the cost of restoring old wooden planes but in any case, it doesn't take too many O-Levels to work out why there ain't too many old wooden planes around.

My Maggie effectively took thirty years and many thousands of hours to restore it from the £50 wingless, waterlogged and derelict hulk in the 60's to the beautiful flying machine I proudly own today.

I have never seen the Strathallan machine in the flesh but enjoyed it tremendously in one of the 'Two Fat Ladies' cookery programmes a couple of years back.

Enquiries have been made but the sums spoken about approximate to what I paid for my 'up and running' pristine example. Add to that the tens, and likely more than a hundred thousand pounds to do it thoroughly and correctly and it is thus a labour of love where the end result is worth but a fraction of the outlay.

Having said all of that, I am a Miles nut as you know, so I would buy it if the price was right. I guess I would pay £25k for it, probably more if it came with a kosher(!) Permit to Fly. I would do this just to save it. My fear with all these planes is losing them forever overseas.

If you have any 'inside' information on it please let me know.

VBR

HP

Member for

20 years

Hello Hairyplane,

A very nice PT-22, and i love your Magister.

What is G-BPUD?

I thought you may find this photo interesting - Photographed at the Ardmore Airshow, Auckland, New Zealand in 2003.

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

Member for

20 years

G-BPUD

Hi from 'Up Over' David.

G-BPUD is a PT22 that force-landed in 93 following a 'fuel problem'. It flipped onto its back damaging the fuz and busting the wings. THe pilot and pax suffered a broken arm and a busted nose respectively (the panel is pretty close, especially in the front - a good idea to pull your straps until they hurt if you are going to make an off-field landing, especially in the 22.)

It remains a complete, restorable aircraft that I bought at the same time as mine.

If it were rarer, I think my concience would demand that I either did it or passed it on for restoration.

However, it is a valuable source of spares - there aint many Kinner bits on this side of the pond for example.

If I sold it and then needed a widget, I bet I would pay more for the widget from the USA than I got for the whole plane!

There are 2 more non-flying PT22's in the UK to my knowledge. They belong to the mysterious Bob Mitchell and are stored with his other rotting machines at Cosford.

Shame, but, like his Witney Straight, Monarch, KZ8(?) etc. etc. he is entitled to let them rot if thats what blows his frock up.

HP

Member for

20 years

Thanks Hairyplane. I did not realise that the PT-22 wasn't so rare. I thought not many would have survived. I guess there must be a fair few in the USA then?

Sounds like a good idea to keep G-BPUD unrestored if it means keeping your flying example servicable and airworthy.

There is another Ryan here that was also at that airshow, but it is a Ryan STM, owned by Motat and operated by the NZ Warbirds. It is in its original Dutch East Indies scheme. A very nice little aircraft too. Are STM's very rare?

Do you know all the history of the Magister's service, ie which RAF flying school/s it served at during the war?

Member for

20 years

PT22/ STM/ Magister

Hi Dave,

PT22 - not uncommon in the USA, probably 100 or so flying there.

STM - 'M' for Menasco of course. A much nicer, prettier and rarer machine than the 22. I have never seen one. If I do I hope I don't have my chequebook with me...!

Magister - As with the Falcon and the Ryan, I get a lot of requests for inforrmation. I guess I should start a thread on the Magister and thereafter rely on my good friends Man on the Fence, Damien B etc. to post the images they have. Of special interest is a logbook entry for the Magister relating to a 50's rebuild.

BTW MotF - I met up at Old Buckenham with the guy who bought the Maggie as a wingless derelict hulk in the 60's for 50 quid. He has given me some as yet unpublished photos of it. What a mess it was!

I'll get them scanned. Maybe you can post them on the thread? I cant do it today - too busy (and a little over-tired and confused) after an outageous works party here last night.

HP

Member for

21 years

HP No problem, I can scan them for you if its easier for a technophobe. Email me if you want some help.

Member for

19 years 8 months

G-BPUD

Hi Hairyplane,

you get everywhere don't you!! Intested to hear about G-BPUD, I think that this is a picture of that very aircraft in better times?

http://www.usaaf.fsnet.co.uk/pictures/GBPUD.jpg

Restoration of your Sopwith is almost complete, with her new powerplant.... do you think that you can still remember how to dogfight? :p

http://www.usaaf.fsnet.co.uk/pictures/Sopwith.jpg

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hairyplane, thanks for the personal insight into owning and operating the Maggie and Ryan. Have ever considered purchasing a Messenger, it would fit in well with all the other Milles aircraft at Old Warden.

Forget the P 51, how about asking NAW to build an M-20!

Septic.

Attachments