P51D has left New Zealand

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

:(

Classic Wings reports that the P51D 'Miss Torque' that was owned by Sir Tim Wallis and Brian Hore at Wanaka has been sold abroad and is now in California. This is the P51D that recently was part of the Breitling Team on their final display at Wanaka.

A shame for southern Mustang fans, but it has been a long time coming I guess because the plane has been up for sale for several years since the very sad death of Tom Middleton, who was the aircraft's regular pilot with his tourism flying where he took passengers up in the P51D and in a Pitts (in which he was sadly killed).

I just wonder, does anyone know whether Sir Tim still owns the disassembled ex-RNZAF P51D that he bought shortly before he and Mr Hore bought Miss Torque? He had originally intended to restore the RNZAF one I believe, but I wonder whether there are still any plans to do this? Or even if it is still in the country.

I wonder if any other P51D's will ever make it into the air here in NZ to pair up with the NZ Warbirds example.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dave

Sad news indeed about Miss T. I think you'll find that the P-51 stored with AFC till 1995 is now flying the U.K. as 'Janie'.
Dave

Member for

20 years 2 months

Here's a pic I took of Miss Torque at the Wanaka Airshow just gone....

Beautiful aircraft.. :(

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

and another....

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

ohh...you wanted more pics ? :D

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months