KP208 C-47 for Duxford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Not seen it posted elsewhere yet but according to our local press the Airbourne Forces museum at Aldershot is to close by 2006. The exhibits will move to Duxford. The largest is obviously Dak KP208 that looks a little worse for wear after 30 years outside. Would be great to see it inside and taken care of. There are also Hotspur and Horsa glider nose sections.
These were taken a couple of years ago

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Might upset some but use the Hastings in the potential museum and forget
about the Dakota(at Aldershot). Does Duxford need two very similar Dakota's on site?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Personally I would have much rather seen it go to Hendon where there are no transport aircraft at all IIRC. Although it has a more interesting British life than the one in the AAM at Duxford which is ex Spanish and SAS.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Personally I would have much rather seen it go to Hendon where there are no transport aircraft at all IIRC. Although it has a more interesting British life than the one in the AAM at Duxford which is ex Spanish and SAS.

Im afraid she would have to be made out of fibreglass to get in hendon the way things are going :(

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Duxford Dakota is ex 316TCG U.K so certainly appropriate to the AAM theme. The Aldershot Dakota would certainly fit in at Hendon. I would love the Filton project to become a success and both the Beaufighter/Beaufort move out on loan replaced by something like a Dakota.

Member for

21 years

as an aside, anyone got any idea whereabouts at Duxford they are going to put the proposed Airbourne Forces Museum.. sounds like a couple of busy years for the IWM - they've got 'Airspace' to finish first!

Neil.

Member for

19 years 9 months

possibly behind land warfare, lots of space and the hind should move in there to.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Put a 'new' Belfast style hangar on the base left over from the one destroyed
in the Battle of Britain film.

Member for

24 years 2 months

how about a new hanger live side with a operational C47 doing pleasure flying
with attached airbourne museum !!!!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Going to be called 'Airborne Assault - Duxford'. New building (already designed - not a Hangar) to be built at the Eastern end (Hangar 1) of the site, adjcent to the flight line, so that the Red Devils can store A/C and operate from the site (no pleasure flying). Press release was given out couple of months ago, but seams to have vanished from the IWM site. Subject to funding, it is a couple of years away.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I believe they will demolish Classic Wings blister and put a new hangar next to ARCo, but this is only hearsay.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Would be nice to see KP208 put back in the RAF VIP scheme I first saw her in,polished silver with white roof and blue cheatline. Would make a change from yet another one in RAF D-Day scheme.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Airborne Assault Duxford

I was interested to read posts from members regarding Airborne Assault Duxford. The project is being entirely funded separately from Imperial War Museum and is not connected with Airspace. It HAS to happen due to the present museum's closure in the not too distant future. The Dakota will forever be associated with Airborne Forces, because of their huge contribution to the D-Day landings and the Battle of Arnhem, surely the turning point in WW2. I think it will look fantastic guarding the new building at Duxford. See website... www.airborneassault-duxford.com

Member for

19 years 3 months

I've not heard much in recent months about this, it seems to be dragging on with no firm plans as yet. I'll let you know what I hear at the next staff meeting.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Dakota will forever be associated with Airborne Forces, because of their huge contribution to the D-Day landings and the Battle of Arnhem, surely the turning point in WW2. I think it will look fantastic guarding the new building at Duxford. See website... www.airborneassault-duxford.com

I took a look at the website and I think the proposed new building and the interactive nature of the display will be a great addition to the site.

But couldn't they find just another million to extend the roof forward on pillars and create a Dakota-Port to keep the poor old bird out of the worst of the weather?

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am afraid that Airborne Assault Duxford will always be a poor relative to whatever Ray Conningham and the guys at Shawbury are achieving.Hopefully when they gain a site in the Midlands we will have the vista of a Horsa,Hadrian and Dakota ready for action . Can AAD really compete with that!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Wonder whether.....

I am afraid that Airborne Assault Duxford will always be a poor relative to whatever Ray Conningham and the guys at Shawbury are achieving.Hopefully when they gain a site in the Midlands we will have the vista of a Horsa,Hadrian and Dakota ready for action . Can AAD really compete with that!

both would consider throwing their hats into the same ring...... :rolleyes:

perhaps then we might get a new-build Hotspur and Hamilcar (using the Tank Museum example as a starting point) to complete the set.

A Morris CS8 Bofors shouldn't be a problem to recreate and there's probably a Tetrach waiting to be found in some Russian bog - after all there are still three MkV* from WW1/Russian Civil War sitting in a scrapyard over there crying out to be recovered......

Member for

20 years 9 months

I had hoped that the dak would at least come in from 35 years in the cold. I just hope that it is at least given a repaint and has some work done so it is around in another 35 years.

Member for

21 years

I've got to say that if this new building is by the M11 it will be the wrong end! The approach to the threshold of the runway surely be partly obscured during the curved approach of the warbirds. Also it will spoil the current 'open sky' effect for clear photos. If this is not considered important, ask the Shuttleworth photographers if the aerial mast spoilt the view.
I can see the new building next to the Land Warfare Hall. Access for the Paras drop aircraft would be passable. Most of the new style buildings would then be together and not engulfing the historic site.
I also think that ultimately the airfield (and perhaps the runway) will have to be extended into the field at the western end.
mmitch.

Member for

20 years 7 months

How would this fit in with any plans to move Marshalls from Cambridge,i know that it is only rumours at the moment but there is only a limited amount of room at Duxford.