Forum

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have a superfast 1.5mb/256kbps link, and the forum is really slow for me today. Anyone else suffering the same problem?

Also, I note that the blessed auto "I've read that thread" highlight does'nt work properly and marks everything read from time to time.

Help Webby.

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

You could try messaging him instead of posting threads!;)
BUT...
The forum has been slow for me for the last few days. I also get an indication that I have unread messages unless I delete all the recent messages from my inbox. Plus the usual 'slight problem' message comes up a couple of times an hour (if I don't just give up). And all those duplicate messages. Oh dear.

Flood.™

Member for

20 years 8 months

Just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention, so that they realise it isn't anything to do with their own connections to the Internet.

I'm like the BBC.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I'm like the BBC.

We can call you Aunty? :eek::D:D:D

Flood.™

Member for

20 years

Thansk Auntie. I have noticed a little sluggishness over the last few days so this morning I upgraded to 600k. Much faster now.

Member for

21 years

Merlin

I like your style :D

Member for

20 years 9 months

I've had about 8 of these in the last 20 minutes:
569 No Data
This Web page could not be opened with the specified browser request. Please try again later.

Takes two or three screen refreshes before the page actually opens.
This is getting much more than annoying now...

Flood.™

Member for

20 years 8 months

Just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention, so that they realise it isn't anything to do with their own connections to the Internet.

I'm like the BBC.

More like trying to show off with a 1.5Mbps link.
Need more than that mate.

Member for

21 years

No problems here I am on a sloooow 56k dial up though.

Member for

20 years

I've had the occasional problem in the past couple of months where I can't get into the forum, or am in and hit a link and it biffs me out, and both scenarios a white page appears that says it's temporarily unavailable. That page also says the webmaster has been informed. One one or two of these occasions it has affected me all day but when i get back in I see everyone else has been posting merrily ok.

Usually a short wait, or going off the page to something else and then coming back sees everything come right.

I haven't had a slowness like you though (yet, touch wood), but I've had the opposite of your other question where it is very occasionally marking everything or maybe the top half of threads on a page as unread, even if I've read them.

I have however several times tried to find something via the search facility and not being able to - and I mean after the good webmaster said it was repaired and reloaded. It is much better than originally after the new site came online, but for me I still have problems finding certain things even when i know the specific keyword or th author. In one case i was looking for someing I wrote myself and couldn't find it despite using the exact title! I don't know if anyone else still has trouble with the search thingy?

Neither are major problems, I'm not complaining, just maybe someone out there has had the same things happen.

I do however have a couple of queires of a non-technical nature regarding the Historic forum...

What is with
- Traffic cones
- Snapper and goats
- chiz (what the heck does that mean?)

Just for those not in the know, thanks guys. ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Dave in answer to your questions:

1) The traffic cone thing stems from a forum meet at Duxford, when I believe Andrew O went to the toilet, and left his camera in sight of Robbo...who cunningly added a pic or two of some of Duxford's resident traffic cones...ever since then, pictures of traffic cones have become a running joke round here :)

2) Snapper and goats - Now Snapper really is the man to give you the full details, but the basic summary is - Snapper did a lot of work on 609 At War, featuring the exploits if you can call them that, of 609 Squadron during WWII. Now during the war (sorry for sounding like Uncle Albert :D) 609 had a squadron mascot, a real live goat named William de Goat. William's adventures are legendary - as I said see Snapper for the full story. Moving to the present, the 609 Squadron Association has William de Goat MkII (a slightly more sedate version...i.e. a very realistic looking ahem replica...Snapper will probably kill me for that :D) Anyway, last year, William MkII attended the unveiling of Snapper's Memorial to two 609'ers, Johnny Wiseman and Babe Haddon, and also put in an appearance at Flying Legends I believe. You really have to picture it Dave - imagine Snapper pulling up at the Guardroom at Duxford in his little blue Metro with a strapping great goat-a-like wedged in the back (or did you have to strap him on the roof Snapper? :D) I am sure you can imagine the reaction of the Guardroom to this :D :) ;) So from then on, we have had goat jokes a plenty :)

3) Chiz - Oi James! What does "chiz" mean? I'm a youngster you see, born in '79, so I haven't a clue about all this Molesworth stuff ;) :D :)

Well hope I've cleared the first two up for you, Dave :)

And as far as access to the forums goes, when I get that "there seems to have been a technical error blah blah blah", I simply close my browser window, then open it again a couple of minutes later and that seems to do the trick.

Ashley

Member for

20 years

Cheers Ashley, that has set most of my mind to rest at last. I have been plucking up the courage to ask about the goat for some time, because I wasn't sure what to expect. :D

I love the fun on this forum.

PS - Who is Molesworth????

Member for

21 years

Molesworth is a character in the Down with Skool books written in the 50's/60's by Geoffy Willans and Ronald Searle. A very humourous look at Public School life through the eyes of a Schoolboy complete with spelling mistakes to suit.

Have a look at JDK's profile to see what Molesworth looks like.

Member for

20 years 1 month

The definition of a chiz is apparently 'a swiz or a swindle' though I'm not sure any actual dictionary would back that up, in forum speak the word chiz is roughly equivalent to :p

:D :D :D :p

Member for

24 years 2 months

"609 had a squadron mascot, a real live goat named William de Goat."That's AIR COMMODORE William de Goat my dear. All other aspects correct.

Pulling up at the guardroom:

"You can't bring animals onto the airfield sir"
"Stand to attention and salute when an Air Commodore arrives"

Member for

20 years 9 months

Wonder if this last weekend was part of the same illness?

Flood.™

Member for

20 years

So it wasn't just me locked out of the forum since Saturday afternoon till this evening then?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Depends where you are - for those in Blighty it was from very early Saturday morning until start of play in the office today.
Apparently something tripped out and something else didn't come back on afterwards - webby has given more detail over on discussion.

Flood.™

Member for

19 years 9 months

Chiz!

3) Chiz - Oi James! What does "chiz" mean? I'm a youngster you see, born in '79, so I haven't a clue about all this Molesworth stuff ;) :D :)

Ashley

I was born in '75 and I know what chiz means. (Having just read my better half's copy of the The Compleet Molesworth.)

I dunno, kids these days... :rolleyes:

Chiz is the opposite of whiz - a whiz is something good or wizard, while a chiz is something unfair. A complete chiz is really, really unfair.

Molesworth is really worth reading - there's a lot of references how the boys of the 50s were really into 'planes - Molesworth 2 is forever pretending to be a Meteor or a Canberra.

Cheers

Alistair

Member for

20 years 8 months

Is the forum about to crash again, It keeps going on an off at this end, with the database error displayed.

Septic.