Mustang nose art

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

a few piccies of some of the 20 plus Mustangs that where at Oshkosh this year.

Had sixteen in the air at one time on Tuesday last week.....lovely noise !

Think I need to put put sunglasses on my camera for next year !

Original post

Member for

20 years

Nice pics, I also need sunglasses to look at them! :)

J.V.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Look at the paper drop tanks on 'Sweet & Lovely' - first time they have been seen on a Mustang in the modern era. The port tank is an original (one of only four known to exist), the other is a very clever copy made by Bob Baker, owner, pilot and restorer of this machine. Bob achieved the coveted Grand Chapion (WWII) award from the judges for his efforts this year.

Member for

21 years

Look at the paper drop tanks on 'Sweet & Lovely' - first time they have been seen on a Mustang in the modern era. The port tank is an original (one of only four known to exist), the other is a very clever copy made by Bob Baker, owner, pilot and restorer of this machine. Bob achieved the coveted Grand Chapion (WWII) award from the judges for his efforts this year.

She is a real beauty. When I saw those paper tanks, I had dreams of a flight of those blue nosers getting together all with those tanks for some air to air photography. There are enough of them I can think of that have the armor plate and gunsights that you could put together a heckuva nice image that I wouldn't mind having on my wall. Get them above the clouds with the pilots wearing the right helmets and clothing and it could be a semi-timewarp

Dan
Where are the other paper tanks btw. I only knew of the one on the AF Museum Mustang. Baker's makes two. The others?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Mark V,

We do have 1 (in perfect condition) and a 2/3 (missing it's back end) paper droptank on display in our museum. I take it these were not included in the mentioned amount, so there are now 5 2/3, and counting.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 2 months

Splendid news, looks a lovely aircraft, any idea who and what won the other awards this year?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Oshkosh winners

There is probably a full list on the web on the EAA site or somewhere but from memory, Collings Foundation Corsair was Post WWII Grand Champ, P-51 "Daddy's Girl" was WWII Reserve Grand Champ. The latter is an awesome piece of work and obviously much better than any Mustang that came off the original factory line (this is a point of authenticity to discuss).

I have some detailed photos of the workmanship and I can post these early next week if anyone is interested.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have some detailed photos of the workmanship and I can post these early next week if anyone is interested.

Goes without saying that I would like to see the pics Mark.

Cheers

Member for

24 years 2 months

Who is the pilot of Bald Eagle?