RAF involvement with the SS Tynwald in Belfast during WW2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Doe's anyone have any idea what a ship called the Tynewald would have been used for during WW2. I know that certain RAF officer were sent to Belfast to do some testing on board the Tynwald. What exactly is unclear.

I guess the Tynewald was probably a Manx ferry but am not sure. This would have taken place in late 41 to November 42.

Any ideas could this have been MSFU training ?????

Thanks

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

So maybe she was used for anti aircraft affiliation in Belfast. A freind of mine father was sent to Belfast in late 41 early 42 and spent time with the Tynwald, he was a pilot so she couldn't understand why he would be sent to undertake training duties with the Navy. At first I thought MSFU !!!!

Member for

19 years 7 months

I have that she was taken into service 4/40, completed 11/41, sunk 12/11/42. From Ships of the Royal Navy vol2, by JJ Colledge.
Maybe your RAF man was positioning the AA guns?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have that she was taken into service 4/40, completed 11/41, sunk 12/11/42. From Ships of the Royal Navy vol2, by JJ Colledge.
Maybe your RAF man was positioning the AA guns?

The pilot flew Beaufighter's until September 41 and Whirlwind's from February 42 until December 42. From what I can gather it was somesort of flying role.