YOU too can fly in this Lancaster

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

On Aug 22nd, a number of aircraft of the Canadian Warplane Heritage flew from Hamilton to nearby Waterloo/Kitchiner for an avaition day. First to land was the Lancaster, which soon attracted a crowd of admirers.

Of course 'our own' flying Lancaster is very much off limits to most of us, but it may not be generally known that the Canadian one is available for enthusiasts to fly in, and many people have taken advantage of this ultra-rare opportunity. One is required to join the CWH as a Bomber Crew Member, at a cost of 1,500 Canadian Dollars, say £650. For this you go on the waiting list for a flight of which the actual airborne time is around 20 mins, though of course the whole 'mission' is rather longer.

The aeroplane can take 4 pasengers at a time, in airline style seats mounted behind the main spar. Unfortunately, only one seat has a window (about as big as a playing card) so the take off will be a noisy, but rather dark experience! Once in the air, passenger can move around the aircraft.

This is an expensive but unique opportunity, and the funds raised go to support the aircraft. One member of CWH staff confided that interest in these flights was high, supply was limited, and it was likely that the price will rise before too long.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

£650! Sign me up! :D

(well, if I had the £650, that is! :()

Member for

19 years 10 months

The shot looking fwd, reminded me of the time my eldest was nearly born on board. Mrs C being 8.5 months at the time and having some difficulty with the spar climb! Not airborne of course, but pics remind me of next best thing. Thanks for post & info