Strange aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

As i was putting a window in yesterday (the 5th) my dad told me that he saw a large six engined aircraft- that looked a bit like a Herc fly over. Apparently it looked like it had two engines close together on each wing and another further out on the wing. It was heading up the Wye Valley in the Bristol direction. Is this anything to do with an air show? or should my dad drink less? If it really exists then i would be greatful iof any piccies could be dug up! Thanks to all
BARNOWL

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

A Herc with wing tanks would look as if it had an extra pair of engines I suppose..

JC

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thats what i thought, bt my dads a stuborn b*****d and wanted to know. Just out of interest- how many aircraft HAVE 6 engines. I only know of the Myra. Bt then agen im only young...

Member for

20 years 10 months

The original Convair B-36 had 6 piston engines (the auxiliary jets were added later) , as did the Blohm and Voss 222 Flying Boat. The Boeing B-47 had 6 jets.

That's just off the top of my head , I sure there are a few others.

Member for

20 years

They were hardly likely to be flying over South Wales yesterday, though!

Member for

24 years 2 months

And you all laughed when I talked about the Me.323 Gigant aerobatic team!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Dornier Do X too, but again, are there any left?

Member for

20 years 2 months

They were hardly likely to be flying over South Wales yesterday, though!

Why not?? Lyneham's hercs are frequently out and
about at weekends - a 24/7 force. Sometimes in huge numbers - Ive seen up to 13 on low level missions on a Sat or Sun.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Gotta be a Herc with wing tanks. Unless it was a ghost B-36 flying in formation with that "Black Lanc" that was mentioned here last week... ;)

Member for

20 years

Kodak, I meant the B-36, B-47, etc., not the Hercules!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Dornier Do X too, but again, are there any left?
sorry, the Do X had 12-yes 12-engines mounted in push/pull pairs so doesn't really quali... oh yes it does sorry(again)