Lockheed Vega.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hi all
I've been reading recently about that rather lovely looking American aircraft the Lockheed Vega.
I see from the book that Vega C/no 40 reg N199E is the oldest airworthy Lockheed aircraft.
I've Googled around a bit and I think this aircraft is now with Kermit Weeks. Could somone confirm this please and has anyone got recent pictures they'd like to share please.
Thanks in advance
Andy Jones

PS Any pictures of surviving Lockheed Air Expresses would be nice too.

Original post

Member for

20 years

Andy,

If you can hold off I'm going to be talking with Mr.Weeks about set up a sit down with him for my book and I'll see if I can get some pics for you.

Oh Yes he owns the plane I think it might be in the main hanger at FoF.

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

20 years 1 month

I think Sir Charles Kingsford Smith owned a Lockheed Vega at one stage didn't he? Or am I thinking of another pioneer?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Vega

The Vega was a six-passenger monoplane built by the Lockheed company starting in 1927. It became famous for its use by a number of record breaking pilots who were attracted to the rugged and very long-ranged design. Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly the Atlantic single handed in one, and Wiley Post flew his around the world twice.
Both the internal structure and the outer covering of the aircraft were wood. The wing was of the internally braced, cantilever type, and the fuselage was of semi-monocoque construction. A new feature was a circular cowling surrounding the 450-horsepower Pratt & Whitney Wasp air-cooled engine. This cowling provided substantial increases in the speed of aircraft employing radial engines, but, at the same time, directed the cooling air through the engine in such a way as to provide adequate cooling.
Fairings, called pants, around the wheels of the landing gear also reduced the drag and resulted in an increase in the speed of the aircraft.
The Vega was a highly advanced and refined design for its day, and, even now, the performance is very good for an aircraft with fixed landing gear.
The Lockheed Vega was originally (1927) designed to carry 4 passengers plus a pilot. The model represented here is a later version, modified to add two more seats. As usual, many different sub-versions existed, including a sea-plane one (no hard data on this one, but speed would probably be a little lower).

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

Oh sorry, that 3rd one is my motorbike! sorry!!!

Member for

20 years 6 months

I think Sir Charles Kingsford Smith owned a Lockheed Vega at one stage didn't he? Or am I thinking of another pioneer?

Hi Dave
I don't think Kingsford Smith had a Vega. However the Australian Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins had two.
C/no 4 which was sponsored by the Detroit News and C/No 17 which was acquired somewhat later.
Hope this helps.
Andy