Obscure TV warbird appearances?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Do you remember these appearances on TV which may have been long forgotten:

Fantasy Island
Episode unknown - a guy wants his fantasy to be WWII aerial combat and he and his mate are given a P51D each and they go hunting Zeros. I know the show was usually filmed in Hawaii, but were the warbirds scenes filmed there too? This is a very vague memory indeed.

These ones not so vague as I have them on tape:

It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Two here: In episode 'Flight To Jawani' the gang fly in B17 'Sally B' - you see her flying and on the ground in close ups. Filmed at Duxford. It first aired 7th December 1976. Sally B was in her silver scheme. I have never yet seen the aircraft as credited for this appearance in her this show on her lists of Film and TV appearances. Do the current owners not know about it?

The other was in episode 'Star Commandoes' a P47D was seen attacing the men by accident. This too came from Duxford I believe but was filmed in the Farnham area. Any ideas who's this Thunderbolt was? First aired 21 Nov 1980.

Anyone else recall any further obscure warbirds appaearances on TV?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

If the Thunderbolt scene was aired in 1980 I would think this would be more likely to be Doug Arnold's Thunderbolt which would at the time have been based in Hampshire. Was the P47 green?

Member for

20 years 1 month

It was olive green with a white tail and blue(?) tip on the fin.

I was told that it was from Duxford because this is where Jimmy Perry, the series writer, told me he thought they'd got it from but he wasn't too sure. Maybe it wasn't DX-based.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I was wasting time 'channel surfing' through music video channels the other day and stumbled across the one for 'Writing to Reach You' by Travis. It must have been released 1998/99 ish, which make is poigniant as it features what must be one of the last flights of 'Me109' G-BOML. It is seen 'strafing' the lead singer who is running along what looks like the grass at Duxford.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That scheme sounds very like the Arnold machine, other than that I wasn't aware that there was another Thunderbolt in the country at that time. TFC's arrived late 85 early 86.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Oh, I got a BUNCH of these memorized...

Fantasy Island-fateuring a bunch of 'Black Sheep Squadron' footage, a guy gets into combat flying Corsairs and winds up meeting his father, or some silly thing like that...

Highway to Heaven-The old Michael Landon TV series, this particluar episode was filmed in Morro Bay, CA and actually showed the fishing boat I was living on at the time (filmed in 1986), the episode closed out with a guy making his trip to heaven on board a B-25.

Airwolf-remember when the Chopper in Airwolf fought a Corsair that was flown by the bad guy? The Corsair lost, of course...to a chopper that was 250 miles an hour slower...

I know I remember more...juts gotta jog the ol' memory..

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

Less obscure - MH434 appearing in an episode of "Poirot" back in the late 80s, as "The Mayfield Kestrel", a sorta top-secret fighter built for the Allies. Strafing trucks at West Malling, I think.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Oh, I got a BUNCH of these memorized...

Fantasy Island-fateuring a bunch of 'Black Sheep Squadron' footage, a guy gets into combat flying Corsairs and winds up meeting his father, or some silly thing like that...

Highway to Heaven-The old Michael Landon TV series, this particluar episode was filmed in Morro Bay, CA and actually showed the fishing boat I was living on at the time (filmed in 1986), the episode closed out with a guy making his trip to heaven on board a B-25.

Airwolf-remember when the Chopper in Airwolf fought a Corsair that was flown by the bad guy? The Corsair lost, of course...to a chopper that was 250 miles an hour slower...

I know I remember more...juts gotta jog the ol' memory..

Mark

Airwolf rocked - if you were 8! :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

A couple of notes...Most of Fantasy Island was filmed in Los Angeles...the main "House" or whatever it was is part of a park. I don't know where the lagoon is where the Grumman Wideon...I always thout it was a Goose, but it's actually a Wideon (Gosling) retrofitted with radials. It was listed for sale awhile back and a lot of the guest stars signed the bulkhead.

Airwolf also shot down a Mustang in one episode.
The Bell 222 nwas operated by JetCopters of Van Nuys Airport but kept at the Bell Helicopter service center there. I went out looking for it and found it on the ramp. A quick word with the receptionist (and a quick flash of my military ID card) got me out on the ramp for photos. It was a fun show if ...like most TV...you didn't take it too seriously.
Bell provided a forward fuselage shell (or engineering mockup) to Universal to be modified into Airwolf standard for the cockpit shots. The helicopter itself was an early production 222 and all the mods were fiberglass bolt ons.
After the series ended the copter was de-modified and sold to a German firm where it was destroyed in a fatal crash.

Tallmantz Aviation out of Orange County provided the support planes for Black Sheep Squadron. In 1978 I payed a visit there and on their "Ops Board" they had scheduled flights for their J2F Duck, Stinson L-5 and (I think) a B-25 for the series. The Corsairs were provided by their various owners.
Side note: My brother in-law rented planes from an FBO at Van Nuys Airport and series star Robert Conrad was living in the firm's parking lot in a huge motorhome while he was learning to fly...and going through a divorce.
Only in L.A.

RE: Highway to Heaven....I had a meeting with the staff at the USAF's storage center at Davis-Monthan in Tucson and they told me about the "Highway to Heaven" filming there. It seems in the final scene the guy is dying and he supposedly goes to the base and takes a WWII surplus Mitchell. They flew one from Chino to Arizona for that scene wher it taxis past stored military jets. They said it was rather poignant....I'd like to see that episode. Fortunately, a job (and a life!) keeps me from watching too many reruns on cable.

An even more obsure film took place in part at D-M. In the 1972 TV film..
"The Delphi Bureau", it's opening scenes show all the stored B-58s (and other jets in a desert sunrise) waiting to be cut up. The film is about a crooked bureaucrat who manages to "steal" jets that he sells to the third world. The script names F-101s (hardly anything a third world country needed since most were interceptors) but they show an F-104 taking off. In a hangar, they show an F-84F being disassembled and hidden in grain shipments to go overseas.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Diana Rigg and her perfect undercarriage...

:D No picture sadly, but an episode of The Avengers was filmed at Bovingdon, and in one scene Emma Peel is seen looking round the undercarriage of what surely can only be a Mosquito...

No mention of the 'plane, but more on the episode at:

http://theavengers.tv/forever/peel1-9.htm

I also remember seeing on erman TV in 1994 a fairly dodgy american TV series called "Uncle Buck", UB being a fat bloke with a beard that would have made WG Grace envious. Frankly it didn't leave much impression, except a scene with him stood in the middle of a runway while someone taxis a P-51 (unmarked, I think) towards him, tail-up, "shooting" at him with lines of explosions going down the runway...

Presumably all faked, 'cos the Mustang still had it's prop and was the right way up! Might have made more impression had it had subtitles, or if I understood German...

Adrian

Member for

19 years 11 months

I also remember seeing on erman TV in 1994 a fairly dodgy american TV series called "Uncle Buck", UB being a fat bloke with a beard that would have made WG Grace envious. Frankly it didn't leave much impression, except a scene with him stood in the middle of a runway while someone taxis a P-51 (unmarked, I think) towards him, tail-up, "shooting" at him with lines of explosions going down the runway...
Presumably all faked, 'cos the Mustang still had it's prop and was the right way up! Might have made more impression had it had subtitles, or if I understood German...
Adrian

In an episode of the old "Cannon" series about a fat private detective, he shoots down a P-51 while holding a .50 cal machine gun in his hands. One hand on the barrel, the other on the triggers. Very realistic!
But then again with his weight, maybe the recoil wouldn't knock him over.

And don't forget the "Hogan Heroes" episode where they "build" a plane and fly it out of Stalag 13. It was an Ercoupe with quasi RAF-ish paint.
In another episode Hogan is talked into going back to England to steal a P-51 because the Germans want to study one. He does, but bails out. Don't worry about the wreckage getting into German hands he says...it was fitted with a Me-109 engine.

In the UK classic "The Prisoner", he escapes from the island only to be flown back in a two seat Meteor. He's seen ejecting fom the back seat (the M-B trials plane?). In other episodes the bad guys have an Alouette II.

And years before "True Lies"...Roger Moore flies what looks like a Kestrel prototype in an episode of "The Saint." Just hops in and flies it. Good training for a future James Bond.

And finally the peak of absurdity, in the talking horse series "Mr. Ed" in a later episode he steals a Boeing KC-97. He parachutes from it just before it crashes.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Anyone remember Tales of the Golden Monkey from the early 80s. I was only about 5 years old, and seem to recall a red and white Grumman Goose playing a starring role...

Member for

19 years 11 months

Anyone remember Tales of the Golden Monkey from the early 80s. I was only about 5 years old, and seem to recall a red and white Grumman Goose playing a starring role...

When the National Air & Space Museum had their restored Goose on display a few years ago, they had a TV nearby showing stock footage from the series. It was credited to Universal Studios.

Member for

20 years 8 months

There's an add in the USA about denture glue and you see a T-6G in it.

Mark Morris must have seen it.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I don't wear dentures....

Sorry.

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

When the National Air & Space Museum had their restored Goose on display a few years ago, they had a TV nearby showing stock footage from the series. It was credited to Universal Studios.

Could this be it?

This was on the set at Universal Studios when I photographed in 1988.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

You haven't seen that add? It was aired all the time when I was in Florida last March...

NMF T-6G...

Member for

20 years 5 months

No, reckon not...last warbird ad I saw was....hmmmm.....In Print, actually!

Mark

Member for

19 years 8 months

TV appearances...

There must be tons of these. A couple I can think of:

--Star Trek episode, involving a kind of virtual-reality planet part of the Enterprise crew gets stuck on. Two of them get strafed by a Warbird that in different bits of the sequence seems to be either a Texan or a Corsair...the one crewman gets killed despite the fact that the centuries-old Warbird in question is a figment of his imagination...(And of course, in Star Trek, all the Romulan ships are Warbirds, too!)

--One of the late-70s/early-80s PI series (possibly Magnum PI--can't recall). Clay Lacy's magenta P-51D forces a Learjet (presumably also Lacy's) down in the desert.

--Twilight Zone (original early-60s version), episode called "King Nine". Variation on the tragic "Lady Be Good" story, involving a USAAF B-25 called "King Nine" that bellies in in the desert, and what becomes of the crew afterward. IIRC Rod Serling was a bit of an aviation buff.

--Spielberg's "Amazing Stories" series from the 80s. Daft bit of business about a B-17 ball-turret gunner whose cartoon doodles come true. Kind of "Memphis Belle" (1990) meets "Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings". This particular one I found offensive, actually. Mr S usually treats history rather less cavalierly, fortunately!

--Canadian cereal commercial (Raisin Bran)...A barnstormer, in a hurry to get on the ground for a fix of cereal, arrives by crashing through a shed. A clever mix of B&W footage; CWH's Fleet 21 and Tiger Moth are seen in the air; the crash is a period archival shot of I don't remember what crashing through the barn; and the wreckage in which the pilot is finally seen sitting (eating Raisin Bran, of course) is a PT-26 Cornell hulk also owned by CWH...a bit of trivia being that it was CF-CVF, which has since been beautifully restored in Norwegian markings and now flies from Mt.Hope.

S.

Member for

20 years 8 months

That Star Trek episode - it was a Harvard done up as a Zero, 'cos I remember seeing it.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Could this be it?
This was on the set at Universal Studios when I photographed in 1988.
Mark

If it was was/is part of a permanent display for their theme park, with the value of a real flying Goose, I bet its a hulk or mockup.
The flying Goose used in "Tales of the Gold Monkey" was advertised in Trade-a-Plane" a few years ago.

And also at Universal Studios Hollywood, when I went through there in 1990 there was a nice X-2 mockup used in an episode of "Quantum Leap" and a T-33....maybe from the "A Gathering of Eagles" film.