Authentic Warbird paint schemes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

I was reading an article in Air Classics last night about P-39 "Brooklyn Bum 2" a/c #993 and that it's painted in the actual scheme that that serialled aircraft wore during the war. It got me thinking about how many other Warbirds are painted in their actual colors that they wore during their service life.

Gerry

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

The RNHF's Swordfish II LS326 is in its original 836NAS colour scheme for one.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Spitfire Vc AR501

Spitfire VB EP120

Spitfire IX MH434, more or less.

Spitfire Tr.9 ML407

Spitfire IX ML417 (although it should have rounded wingtips and standard-type rudder to be wholly authentic!)

(I would have added Spit VB BM597, but although the markings and codes are correct, it is painted in an earlier scheme).

TFC's P-51D Mustang "Twilight Tear"

That's about as many as I can think of on an empty stomach!!

Member for

20 years 7 months

A: Quite a lot!

The Old Warden Spitfire V is certainly, and the Sea Hurricane is the best conjecture of it's wartime scheme.

The RNHF Swordfish LS326 is in the scheme it is believed to have worn; the latter two have no photos of their wartime service, but colour film footage of the Spitfire V AR501 was found only a year or two ago!

Member for

20 years 8 months

That's right, there was a still of it in Flypast's airworthy Spitfire supplement back in March(?) 2002.

Member for

20 years

Alot of Trainers

Hi All,

As James has said their are alot,

I find that here in the States that alot of Trainers have them more so then the Heavy Stuff.

Cheers Crazymainer

Member for

20 years 7 months

I must admit I'm rather surprised so far as it's been my belief that Owners prefer the more colorful schemes and therefore forego authenticity for popularity.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Funny, I can't think of a Griffon Spitfire that flies with an authentic (to that aircraft) paint scheme. Care to correct me?

Member for

21 years

What about other Hurricanes.... :rolleyes:

AFC's Hurricane is in it's Battle of France (74 Sqn?) scheme.
Peter Vacher's 'about to fly' Hurricane is in it's Battle of Britain scheme.
Isn't TFC's MkIV in it's wartime scheme as well...??

I seem to recall a few P-40 that are in their wartime schemes as well.

Ed Russells Me109 is in it's Battle of Britain era scheme IIRC.

Another candidate is TFC's Hellcat as well, depending on your definitions of original airframe composition etc.,etc... :confused:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Daz, I 'think' Sir Tim Wallis's tragic Mk XIV did.

His other two Spitfires certainly carry/ied their original schemes - TB863 still with the collection, and AR614. Also his Hurricane P3351 does too, in its Battle of France scheme (though it's restored in its later guise of MkII).

Here in NZ also many Harvards and Tiger Moths carry their original wartime and postwar schemes. And Sir Tim's Fox Moth is in its original colours when it was used to transport the future King around.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ooh, I don't think so about NH799, Dave. I seem to recall reading in Spitfire - Flying Legend that it was painted up as a 'high-back' MkXIV. Can't be sure without the book in front of me, though.

AR614 - yep, I seem to recall a picture from the aforementioned supplement, showing some damage to the aircraft, too.

TB863.

SL721 DID wear her markings when she was flown by AVM JM Robb.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

How about MK356? ;) Also RM689 did, and will.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Nice shot of NH799 Daz. Who is flying it there? Was it taken at Wanaka or while it was still in the UK?

Does anyone know when it'll be flying again? The last I saw of this plane was Ardmore airshow last year - at least I think this was NH799 - there was a photo of NH799 taped to it.

Lets not forget Black 6, though she no longer flies

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

No idea, Dave, it's just one I managed to pull off the net some time ago for the ol' screensaver...

Spitfire XIV RM797, when finished, will probably wear her authentic 41 Sqdn scheme....

(photo: via Randal McFarlane)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Glacier Girl (P-38) and Black 6 109G-6) have modified original schemes - Black 6 has a unit badge applied that it didn't have, and Glacier Girl is the modern name...

Member for

20 years

Piper L-4 Cub G-BGPD / 44-79744 / 49-M is utterly authentic...
Ok not a big warbird but they also served...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Funny, I can't think of a Griffon Spitfire that flies with an authentic (to that aircraft) paint scheme. Care to correct me?

PS853 - 16 Sqd.

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

D'oh! :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Was gonna add that one, too! :p

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yes, I saw SL721 before she was repainted and I prefered her in that smart blue scheme, her true one!!

Now she's just 'another' Spit in camo, instead of THE blue Spit.

But still, a Spit is a Spit and I ain't spitting on occasions to see her!

:p ;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

I'd guess at Mark Hanna in NH799