CAF Spitfire NH749

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

A while ago, the CAF either purchased or had donated to them Spitfire XIV NH749 (see pic).

Has this flown during their ownership? If so, where is it based?

(Photo from Warbirds Resource Group)

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

Has anyone confirmed this rumor? The plane is still registered to Dave Price's company. I think the Spit is based with the CAF Wing at Camarillo.

Jim

Member for

20 years 4 months

I know a bunch of the SoCal wing folks, I think they'll take good care of it....just hope the luck that has befallen the other CAF Spits does'nt catch up with this one...

Mark

Member for

20 years 7 months

"the other CAF Spits"? I know about MK297, and I'm pretty sure NH238 was also one for a time....

Member for

20 years 4 months

All I know is I've read of CAF accidents over the years (back into the 1950's) with Spitfires much in the same way they've gone through PBY's for some reason...don't know how many through the years, but obviously the most recent was the CAF Spit that Howard Pardue used to fly that burned in Canada...suffice it to say Bill Greenwood has provided them with their most successful Spitfire operation...but then it's HIS plane...

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

All I know is I've read of CAF accidents over the years (back into the 1950's) with Spitfires much in the same way they've gone through PBY's for some reason...don't know how many through the years, but obviously the most recent was the CAF Spit that Howard Pardue used to fly that burned in Canada...suffice it to say Bill Greenwood has provided them with their most successful Spitfire operation...but then it's HIS plane...

Mark

Even Mk IX MK297, prior to being lost in the fire, ended up on its back in the CAF care.

Anybody have a photo of that?

Mark

Member for

20 years 1 month

The sale of NH749 to the CAF is still pending as of several weeks ago.

Dennis

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ok, not a shot of MK297 on her back, but a shot of her cockpit during the subsequent re-build.

MRP

Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

Even Mk IX MK297, prior to being lost in the fire, ended up on its back in the CAF care.

Anybody have a photo of that?

Mark

No, but I did see a photo of it looking rather unhealthy some time ago!