Can anyone confirm this RNFAA paint scheme?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I came across this "all black" RNFAA Corsair and was curious as to how authentic this was. The plane's markings look a bit off to me as well, which prompted my suspicion even more. I've never heard of a black FAA Corsair, but I suppose there's always the chance one of them got the special treatment for some reason. Any clues?

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadrons/Corsair_KD230D_1835_HMSPremier_1945_profile.jpg

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

Apparently it is KD230, a Corsair IV with 1835NAS in 7/45-8/45. At the time the squadron was working up on HMS Premier from Belfast prior to being deployed with the 17th Carrier Air Group in the British Pacific Fleet.
Presumably it would have, sooner or later, worn the all over dark blue scheme (maybe even delivered in it) but I doubt an all over black scheme - but stranger things have happened (and been replicated - a silver Spit with red trim, anybody?;))

Flood

Member for

20 years 10 months

Hi Rob

I also doubt this is for real,like to be proved wrong though....

Cheers BWB

Member for

20 years 5 months

Rob-

Got some pics in some of my books where the dark blue LOOKS black, even in color, and then there's the flat back panel on the top of the engine compartment (anti glare) so maybe that explains it...don't like the look of the canopy in the pic above, not very well done, is it?

Mark

Member for

20 years 10 months

The anti glare panel on early corsairs certainly FG-1Ds was non specular sea blue.Not black.

Later marks such as the F4U-5 did have black.