Hawker Siddeley, the RAF and a bunch of Burgoines

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Prompted by a fellow forumite to delve back into my family history research, I found out last night that a not too distant relative, Sidney Burgoine, worked for Hawker Siddely cWW2 and was allegedly MD at one point (or certainly senior management). My question is, does anyone know where I could verify this? After the success with my Ben Lee thread, this should be easy!

Just for a further challenge, I also discovered close relatives who served in the RAF and any further info would be welcome, other than Gazette notifications and service number details which I already have (for Kenneth).

Alfred Charles Burgoine (no number given) - Capt, RAF 1919, Technical Branch

Kenneth Alfred Burgoine (153078) - Flt. Lt. General Duties (Pilot?, looks likely aircrew as others in the same list category hold DFC's etc.).

I'll be posting the same question on the "other" forums too.

Any info at all appreciated.

TIA, Dean

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Prompted by a fellow forumite to delve back into my family history research, I found out last night that a not too distant relative, Sidney Burgoine, worked for Hawker Siddely cWW2 and was allegedly MD at one point (or certainly senior management). My question is, does anyone know where I could verify this? After the success with my Ben Lee thread, this should be easy!
Just for a further challenge, I also discovered close relatives who served in the RAF and any further info would be welcome, other than Gazette notifications and service number details which I already have (for Kenneth).
Alfred Charles Burgoine (no number given) - Capt, RAF 1919, Technical Branch
Kenneth Alfred Burgoine (153078) - Flt. Lt. General Duties (Pilot?, looks likely aircrew as others in the same list category hold DFC's etc.).
I'll be posting the same question on the "other" forums too.
Any info at all appreciated.
TIA, Dean

Hi Dean
there was a Sidney Burgoine who joined The Sopwith Aviation Company in 1913 as a boat builder. He worked on the company's seaplanes and flying boat designs. If he stayed with Sopwith and later Hawker's he may well have risen to senior management.
Not much to go on but it may help.
Source:- Sopwith Aircraft 1912-1920. H.F. King. Putnams 1980 P.30.

Cheers
Andy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Dean
there was a Sidney Burgoine who joined The Sopwith Aviation Company in 1913 as a boat builder. He worked on the company's seaplanes and flying boat designs. If he stayed with Sopwith and later Hawker's he may well have risen to senior management.
Not much to go on but it may help.
Source:- Sopwith Aircraft 1912-1920. H.F. King. Putnams 1980 P.30.

Cheers
Andy

Andy you are a star. What I deliberately didn't mention was that Sidney came from a very distinguished family of Boat Builders, Burgoine's of Hampton Wick, which was run by his father (Alfred) and uncle (Charles). They built a Royal Barge for Queen Victoria and numerous competition boats.

What you have said ties in perfectly and would also explain the extra snippet I was told after my initial post - that Sidney was involved in the Schneider Trophy somehow.

More than a little nugget for me there young Andrew! Ta. :) :) :)

Dean

Member for

20 years 6 months

Sidney Burgoine Again...

Dean
Thanks for your kind words.
They spurred me on to find this further piece of information. Looks like Sidney actually joined Sopwith’s even earlier than we thought.

“Following these successes, new orders were promised and another administrative post was created; Sidney F. Burgoine was appointed assistant works manager. He had worked for Thornycroft’s and then his brother’s business, Burgoine the boat-builders of Hampton Wick; more recently he had accompanied the Sopwith team to America in 1911. The experience of a boat-builder was now added to the staff at a time when the Bat Boat was ready for sea trials.”

Taken from Sopwith-The Man And His Aircraft. Bruce Robertson. Harleyford 1970. P.34.

I can’t find anything else at present but I’ll keep my eyes open.
Cheers
Andy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Andy, yet again astounding! So his name was Sidney F Burgoine and he joined in 1911! I've got a few issues of flight from around that era so I'll have a look on the off-chance he's mentioned.

The other 2 Burgoines I mentioned: Alfred Charles Burgoine is his brother and Kenneth Alfred Burgoine is his son so you can see that aviation became firmly entrenched in the blood, even down to myself.

Here's another one for you then...

Roger Burgoine was allegedy chief draughtman for Armstrong-Whitworth. Don't suppose he's mentioned anywhere is he?

Dean

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yet more on Sidney.

Dean
One more little piece on Sidney Burgoine.

On the Sopwith Schneider of 1914.
“A single central float alighting gear was designed and fitted very rapidly-perhaps too rapidly-and at the end of March 1914 the Tabloid was moved from Sopwith’s Kingston upon Thames factory to a site on the Hamble river for water and air tests. These began on 1 April but when Pixton opened the throttle to taxi away from a jetty, the nose of the main float dug into the water and the aircraft turned over and sank. Fortunately Pixton was thrown out and managed to swim back to the jetty. In their haste to ready the Tabloid for Monaco, Sopwith, Sigrist and Sidney Burgoine, a boat-builder, had rigged the float too far aft and it could not balance the increased power of the engine. The following morning the soaked and partially wrecked Tabloid was recovered from the mud, dismantled and returned to Kingston, where a new twin-float alighting gear was sketched out. Burgoine simply sawed through the single main float to produce a pair of smaller units which were completed by boxing in their now open inboard sides. Two spreader bars connected them and they were attached to the fuselage by two pairs of struts, the whole gear being wire braced.”

Taken from Schneider Trophy Aircraft 1913-1931 by Derek N. James. Putnams 1981. Page 58/59.

Quite a guy!
I hope this helps.
Unfortunately I haven’t got anything on Armstrong Whitworth. If you know anyone who has the Armstrong Whitworth volume published by Putnams it might be useful to look in there.

Cheers
Andy

Member for

16 years 9 months

Not sure if your still watching this thread but anyway...

I believe the Kenneth Burgoine you mentioned is my grandfather, as far as I know he was a spitfire pilot, I remember seeing his wings and medals when I was a kid. I was wondering if you have managed to find any more information.

thanks

jim