Worst Airshow

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 6 months

There can be only one above all others for sheer lack of effort. Any latter FARNBOROUGH airshow. Thank god it's only every two years and we now can use our new-parent's chalet@Flight Intl.

BR
Commercial attendee.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Woodford

Any airshow at Woodford after 1969.

Woodford + Airshow= Rain :D
It did seem to rain more often than not.
Phil.

Member for

20 years

probably my worst airshow was Biggin Hill 2001, a gathering of Eagles, was the worst 48 hours of my life aviation related. i witnessed 3 seperate incidents that weekend. as a cadet not on duty i decided to help but they wouldnt let methis just after the vampire went spiralling towards the ground. a huge fire ball ensude leaving me and my dad speechless. my dad has witnessed several airshow disasters but none as bad as that as i was close to that end of the runway it felt very close. it brought a tear to my eye. the silence after this was frightening i just stood there for 5 minutes looking at the smoke to scared to do anything. this was a very sad weekend for the warbird community :(

Member for

20 years 11 months

Flying Legends 2003

I think most people will know why

Jim

That would be mine too.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I can honestly say i have been rained on at many airshows i have been to, And the weather has forced shows to end early etc but for me that is not led to that show being the worst just a disapointment.
Sadly i have witnessed four Airshow accidents in my time going to Airshows all of these count as my worst Airshow memories and therefore my worst airshows.
1) P-38 Lightning crash at Duxford 1996 i had become a huge fan of "Hoof" and loved the lightning i had never seen a accident before and it effected me badly "Hoofs" loss was huge to Aviation and to me also.

2)and 3)Biggin Hill 2001 we all know what happened at this show and without doubt it was my worst time at a airshow, I remember my excitement at seeing the Seavixen for the first time turn to horror when i realised the Vampire had stalled and was about to crash, Moments before she had taxied out from directly in front of us, I went on the sunday partly due to realising it be hard to go to another show with the memories of what happened on the saturday and partly because my sister still quiet wanted to go, My sister and i decide we would sign the condolence book after we watched the American Eagles part of the show with the Fighter collection warbirds, I realised the P-63 was having trouble when he lost height during earlier part of the show when she flew past for the last time i remember thinking it seemed slow then i think we all realised as pulled up into a loop that something had gone badly wrong as they say the rest is sadly history.

4) Flying Legends 2003 the Loss of the Firefly and its crew yet again this had a bad effect on me as i had grown up seeing the Firefly and was so glad to see her fly again she had looked great a Biggin Hill a month before and she had looked great, The loss of Bill and Neil was truelly awful.

I hope i never experence such accidents again

Member for

20 years 9 months

Reno 2001

Reno 2001 was a real bummer,Why? oh a little event occured on(9/11/2001 or oops I forgot 11/9/2001) in New york City.All flying in the U.S. was verboten.Since we were already there ,we got to sit in the box seats and pretend the races were happening. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!So thats the worst in my book.anyone care to agree?.also getting home was quite fun.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Wow, there seem to be a lot of fatal airshow crashes in Britain, and over the past few years a load of top pilots have been lost too. Very sad. Terribly sad.

Was that Biggin Hill Vampire crash mentioned here the one where Sir Kenneth Hayr was killed? That was big news here as he was a Kiwi legend. I never heard about the P63 the next day though. What was the third incident you mention Stewart? Did something else crash too?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Culdrose - 2003 and 2004 :( - hope the weather is not going for a 2005 hat-trick :) - thats the problem with living down here - lousy weather and not enough air shows in the area :mad: cheers - Allan

Member for

21 years

Dave,

June 2001 also saw the tragic loss of Martin Sargeant in Spitfire PR XI at Rouen, France.

Septic

Member for

20 years 11 months

Weren't the Vampire/P-63/Spitfire crashes all within a few days?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Wow, there seem to be a lot of fatal airshow crashes in Britain, and over the past few years a load of top pilots have been lost too. Very sad. Terribly sad.

Was that Biggin Hill Vampire crash mentioned here the one where Sir Kenneth Hayr was killed? That was big news here as he was a Kiwi legend. I never heard about the P63 the next day though. What was the third incident you mention Stewart? Did something else crash too?

Yes that's right, de Havilland Aviation's Venom G-GONE landed at Biggin Hill with its undercarriage UP, then Ken Hayr was killed in the Vampire and I was there the following day and witnessed the P-63 Kingcobra crash - an awful weekend! It tried to do a loop at low altitude and ran out of speed, stalling at the top I think and dived and crashed in a ball of fire, thankfully on the opposite side of the airfield.

Member for

20 years 10 months

There have been a few aircraft crumps over the last few years but when you remember how many airshows and flights British based aircraft participate in each year [not just in this country]it really brings things into perspective.The problem is that any aircraft crump is highly visible to many thousands and t/v highlights it all.
Theres a fine line for a pilot to get it right or getting it wrong and theres normally no second chance.

Member for

20 years

the first accidnt i witnessed was the wheels up landing of the venom G-GONE at Biggin this was the first accident ive witnessed and hoped to see no more unfortunatly there was more to come...........................

Member for

20 years 4 months

Legends 2003 for obvious reasons :(
Legends 2004 for the weather- for mid June it was fooking FREEZING!!!!!!!!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Cork 1985.

The airshow that never was. It was cancelled in the morning of the show due to low cloud/fog. Most people found out as they sat in their cars waiting to park. We went in anyway and all we saw was the Frecci Triclori MB339s neatly lined up on the apron. A few of the booked "acts" gave impromptu displays at Shannon instead!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Weren't the Vampire/P-63/Spitfire crashes all within a few days?

Yes the Vampire crash was on saturday 2nd June P-63 Sunday 3rd June then the Spitfire crashed on the Monday.

Member for

24 years 6 months

kemble 2004......won't be going back there.....weather/crowd/set-up/stupendous price increase.....much much better in 2003.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Have been going to airshows since Newton in 1956 when Canadian sabres broke the sound barrier and have seen few accidents or dismal airshows.
I seem to recall a tiger moth at Hucknall in about 1963 losing it's undercarriage while balloon bursting but he did an emaculate landing,incidentally I have a colour slide of a razorback P-47 at that airshow,what happened to it?
We used to go to Syerston in the 50's but went to Cottesmore for a change and fortunately missed the Vulcan crash,was it 1958,we were stuck in a traffic jam at the time!
I remember an airshow at Cottesmore about 1960 when their were terrible thunderstorms and I recall cowering in a hangar and watching the Hunters of the Black Arrows doing their stuff at exceedingly low level.
The first fatal crash I saw was at Mildenhall in the early 80's,it was the opening act and involved a US Navy T-34 turbo mentor,we thought at the time that some of his aerobatics were a bit low and he went in just in front of us nearly hitting a KC-135,the awful part was that the ground crew made no attempt to conceal their efforts at pulling out the bodies which were shovelled into body bags in front of us.
A weather affected airshow was Coltishall 1980,it was difficult getting in because of the traffic,then thick fog lingered all day,as the 40th anniversary of The Battle of Britain,every flyable spitfire was due to attend,but only the BBMF made it I think that the Rolls Royce spitfire got lost and had to abort.
Unfortunately it was to be the first public display by the prototype Tornado fighter variant,he tried,but my pictures reveal a foggy blur.It took 5 hours to get out of the airfield.
I think that some of the Mildenhall airshows of the late 80's got a bit bland but were perked up by the first Gulf war.
During the same period I went to a Wethersfield airshow 1984? when I am sure that the RAF Phantom pilot lost it,he seemed to be oscilating badly on one of his turns,that was the year that a Starlifter got stuck in the mud while taxying also one of the resident gliders crashed on landing but everyone was OK.
We used to go to the West Malling shows in the 80's when some of the flying was distinctly hairy,a particular sequence involving a mustang and spitfire and several pilautus,I won't name the pilots,had us virtually diving for cover.
I was at Mildenhall in the 80's when Don Bullock attempted the take off barrell roll in his Invader,much to the chagrin of the commentator,and us,a week later he did the same thing at Biggin Hill and we all know what happened then.
I was at Duxford the day before the Lightning incident,I have the same sequence of events on video,it did look a bit dodgy and it was coming staight for me.
I saw the Black 6 go down at Duxford,we all saw what looked like a stream of coolant coming out of the engine,then my battery ran out,he did a good job of avoiding the traffic on the M11,my nephew has a video of the incident.
With regard to the Firefly,that day I decided to watch the show from the field opposite,sometime it's a pain to go into Duxford and have to put up with the people on step ladders as the Autumn airshow proved.
When he came down I thought he'd come down on the M11,however it was obvious he was down in the field,people up there were in a hell of a state,I rushed over to the crash site,but when I saw the state of the wreckage,I knew that they could not have survived,however the wheatfield was full of frantic people running about including kids,oblivious to the fact that the fuel could have gone up,one kid triumphantly waved the pilots helmet aloft,then someone found his body,fortunately the rescue crews arrived and cleared everyone out.
The next thing that happened was the arrival of Reuters with their sattelite link taking pictures,they were sick *******s and I told them so.
I was also at the last lightning show and it was grim weather,has anyone got any video footage to sell me?

Member for

24 years 6 months

*Loses dinner at thought of kid with helmet*

Member for

20 years

makes you sick dont it very disturbing accounts there pete