War Lover B-25?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Can anyone state with first hand knowledge that B-25J N9089Z was used as a camera ship for the filming of "The War Lover." I've seen it written here and there but I've also seen it cited that a Piper Aztec was used. I have never seen any photos of it involved with the filming, and there is no mention of it in "Everything But The Flak" which details, among other things, Greg Board and his company's (Aero Associates) involvement with the film. John Crewdson and his company coordinated the airplanes and presumably provided the camera ship. How much air-to-air was even done? The dates on the civil register don't add up too well, either.

So, is this one of those "facts" perpetuated through the years or is there first hand knowledge out there (i.e. "I was at Bovingdon in October 1961 and saw it there") to confirm it?

Thanks much. Enquiring minds want to know. And so do I.

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Yep, as far as I know, N9089Z was used in "War Lover" in the early 60s
Kind regards
C

Member for

20 years 8 months

The B25 N9089Z was obtained by Crewdson of Film Aviation services for the production. The B25 came to be known as 'Moviemaker II'.

When I was researching an article for Warbirds Worldwide on the film I could not find a photos of the B25 in its Film Aviation Services markings, despite obtaining many B17 photos.

At the time Crewdson operated a Scottish Aviation Pioneer G-AODZ this was finished in a Silver and White scheme, I would guess the Mitchell would have had a similar livery. From memory the Mitchell eventually appeared in 633 squadron in a white and civil scheme.

Septic.

Member for

20 years

Septic,

Thanks much for your reply. Can I ask the source for your purchase information? The U.S. civil register file does not show such a purchase. It was sold to Aero Associates in July 1963 from Hamilton Aircraft, which owned it for one day after purchasing it from Aero American, obviously a tranfer of convenience. The owner of record remains Aero Associates. I can find nothing in either official records nor unofficial ones from that time that shows the airplane was involved. Thanks much.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Aerovin,

I think the term purchased or Sold to cannot be applied to this Mitchell.

The aircraft was obtained from the American Compressed Steel corporation and would be operated by the American Aero Corp under the control of Crewdson's Film Aviation Services in the UK on behalf of Columbia pictures.

I think the American civil registration and title of ownership to the American Aero Corp. was kept to ease the paperwork details and speed the process along. If the aircraft had to be re-registered to a new owner it could delay the films production.

After its use in 633 squadron the aircraft was laid up at Biggin Hill due to a large and unpaid customs bill. (Approx 1964)

Septic.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I took this picture at the Biggin Hill Air Fair in 1964.
Phil

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

Thanks for the Photo Phil, its the first I've with the Aero Asssociates liverey.

Being 1964 and post 633 squadron would the B25 ever have flown in this guise.

Septic.

Member for

20 years 5 months

...and a couple more taken by my brother.
Phil, :)

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

Superb Phil.

Aerovin, I've just got my copy of Scott Thompsons B25 in Civil Service out of the loft.

Scott states that Aero American Corp were a subsidary of Aero Associates.

I would guess that the aircraft was re registered to either avoid oustanding fees or taxes or to buy some time. I doubt we will ever find out the full story. Scott's book suggests that Greg Board was being sought by the CIA for suspected gun running at around this time!

Perhaps its best not too delve to deep in the one!

Septic.

Member for

20 years

Septic,

Thanks much for what you provided. Actually, I'm Scott Thompson and I've done some additional research after the B-25 book was completed in 1997. There is much fuzzy stuff with Greg Board but I think Aero Associates was actually his company after he left Aero American in September 1962. I don't think, at this point, that there was any connection between Aero Associates and Aero American. Aero American was a subsidiary of the American Compressed Steel Corp.

I still have yet to see anything that puts this B-25 in the UK prior to 1963. Like you, I've tried to find photos of the B-25 involved in the War Lover filming and have come up empty. The first logged appearances of the B-25 in the UK are in 1963.

Thanks for your help.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Scott,

Have you tried contacting the British Film Institute in London, they may have some paperwork relating to the production.

I will drop a line to Brian Stainer of APN, Brian photographed the B17 s at Bovingdon.

All the best

Septic