Rearwin for Melvyn

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

thanks Melv! :)
u have drum or disk brakes? This reminds me of the sooo many headaches and good pints of brake fluid when adjusting the Tiger Moth ones... despite our efforts we often had one wheel blocking or with no braking power at all, expecially on grassy airfields..

Alex

Member for

20 years 4 months

thanks Melv! :)
u have drum or disk brakes? This reminds me of the sooo many headaches and good pints of brake fluid when adjusting the Tiger Moth ones... despite our efforts we often had one wheel blocking or with no braking power at all, expecially on grassy airfields..

Alex

Neither. These are plate brakes, like motorbike clutches. Cable operated and useless. I have tried all sorts of ways of adjusting (and more) and they do not work.

I am in the middle now of getting hydralic discs organised.

M

Member for

19 years 4 months

plate brakes? never heard of them before! :confused: this really tickled my curiosity, u have a skectch drawing or something? u even talked about some brake pics u took.. :D
Anyway, think twice before installing disc brakes on a taildragger, they can turn out to be too effective and cause annoying results.. I'd definitely go for the drum ones.

Alex

Member for

20 years 4 months

plate brakes? never heard of them before! :confused: this really tickled my curiosity, u have a skectch drawing or something? u even talked about some brake pics u took.. :D

There will be pics at the bottom. There are six plates in each wheel Three are splined onto the axle the other three are splined onto the wheel. When they are compressed they are supposed to pinch together. The problem is that at least part of the effort goes into just pulling the cable and stretching it. The cam is also pretty weak and only has about 3mm movement and so it is not possible to set them up so the wheels revolve freely and stop properly. Consequently there is always a heat build-up and the material fails.
Anyway, think twice before installing disc brakes on a taildragger, they can turn out to be too effective and cause annoying results.. I'd definitely go for the drum ones.
Alex

The problem is what is available for the wheel size. We are not talking a common aeroplane here! The axle size and wheel size and wheel format is different to other aeroplanes. You can do a mod to fit Cub brakes but they are pretty useless too and this is a 850kg aeroplane. It needs to be able to run up and some Cubs can barely do this without moving with less weight and fewer horses. The discs were not my first choice but having spoken to a lot of people over the past few weeks (since I left my wheel pants at La Ferte!) I know of several people that have them on things like Vagabonds and they work well.

The Rearwin has the wheels well forward and so braking in taxying is not an issue and you can set the discs up so they are not too fierce.

You would rarely use them to stop you on a landing roll but you do need them to keep you straight after landing. There is no rudder authority at all from about 30mph and the tailwheel steering is ineffective then as the wheel sloped backwards and so automatically tries to stay straight.

As long as the brakes are progressive in operation they will be fine. I was explaining to my dad about them today. I told him you don't need brakes to stop a taildragger you just need them to stop you starting!

Melv

Member for

20 years 4 months

Whoops, forgot the pics.

The plates and also the actuator.

M

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

...Williams Aircraft Collection - nice gut too...

Did you mean guy or are you envious of his shape?

I've never heard of using a clutch as a brake either. If you're planning on converting to hydraulic, couldn't you do that to the existing brakes? It should get rid of all the cable problems and be far more positive.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Did you mean guy or are you envious of his shape?

I've never heard of using a clutch as a brake either. If you're planning on converting to hydraulic, couldn't you do that to the existing brakes? It should get rid of all the cable problems and be far more positive.

I suppose I shoud say "Clutch-type". These brakes are originally made by Goodyear and the drawing I have dates from about 1932. They were relatively common for a while but were a dead-end in brake design. In theory they are fine, you have a set of discs spinnign with the wheel and a set stuck on the axle. When you push them together the brake works but it is finding the correct material that is the hard bit, not the engineering. I am sure I could make these into a hydraulic system but that is still going to leave me the problem of the brake material. Try getting a company to quote on the set up costs of having sintered discs made! One place quoted £2,000 minimum and from what I have subsequently learned I donn't think they would have managed it.

The other point about going the standard hydraulic route is that the parts are available. If the pads wear I get new ones, if the disc gets scored I get new ones. With the plate brakes I have to have everything engineered from new.

Has an email from Matco last night and they are confident they have a wheel and brake system that can also accomodate my spats. The next task is actually harder (the wheels and actual brakes are quite easy!) as we have to design the master cylinder arrangement and placement.

M

Member for

24 years 3 months

Couple of good points there I hadn't thought of. Clutches are designed to slip a bit and then lock - not ideal for brakes. :)
Also the only units of that style I've had any dealings with were on old British 'bikes which had replaceable inserts, rather than one-piece discs.

I'll go back to my corner...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Melvcock, how easy would it be to say adapt the Cub Cleveland disk brake mod onto your conveyance?

Member for

20 years 4 months

Melvcock, how easy would it be to say adapt the Cub Cleveland disk brake mod onto your conveyance?

There is a mod but it is not tidy and has a few problems. The Cub wheels use smaller diameter axles and so that is an engineeing issue and I would have to prove a heavy Rearwin (1800lbs) would be OK on the lighter Cub axles. It is far easier to use the thicker, stronger, axles I have a dn find a wheel and brake that fits. I think we have done this.

The other problem is that what fits on the floor in a cub to operate the brakes will not fit in a Cloudster. We are having to design the whole master cylinder thing so that it is foolproof.

Cub wheels would have been easier but not the answer.

Or, in plain english as a direct answer to your question, "just as difficult as what we are doing" (I hope)

M

Member for

20 years 8 months

That is one weeerd system, I reckon you'd probably be better off with no brakes at all than this Mickey Mouse set up. I can't understand why it was a dead end idea can you? :)

Member for

20 years 4 months

That is one weeerd system, I reckon you'd probably be better off with no brakes at all than this Mickey Mouse set up. I can't understand why it was a dead end idea can you? :)

It is interesting as it has to have brakes. The Sportster was priced with brakes extra, on the Cloudster they were included. Whether this is because time had changed or not is a question I donno the answer to.

Most taildraggers can, and should, be landed with scant attention to the brakes. The Cloudster is a little different as it has no rudder authority in the latter stages of the landing run and the tailwheel steering is not good enough to turn you. It is fine at slow speed but not when moving quickly. Therefore the is a band of speed where any divergence off the runway needs a little dab of brake to bring you straight. You can sit with full rudder and it does nothing. When Stuart flew it he thought it was a characteristic of square-sectioned fuselages.

It does need brakes!

Member for

19 years 10 months

It does need brakes!

how about these ? :diablo:

Martin :D

Attachments

Member for

20 years 4 months

how about these ? :diablo:

Martin :D

or one of these
Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

What size wheels you got then? We're on 8x6s.

In general just a bit worried you're re-inventing the wheel! Have you looked at other aircraft brake systems?

I know of a company that does electric braking ;)

Member for

19 years 4 months

u said right melv, it's a matter of finding a braking system which allows u to have a progressive control on them. Are the brake pedals on top of the rudder ones? The original config of the Rearwin was with a tailskid or tailwheel?

Alex

Member for

20 years 4 months

What size wheels you got then? We're on 8x6s.

In general just a bit worried you're re-inventing the wheel! Have you looked at other aircraft brake systems?

I know of a company that does electric braking ;)

800x4 with a 1.5 in axle. The Supercub mod paperwork I have shows using a smaller axle which will add to the paperwork. The Rearwin is a bit heavier than a Cub. It is not the wheel end of the equation that is the problem. As long as the wheels and axles remain the same diameter it doesn't matter if I go from 4in hubs to 6 in as long as they are rated for the weight. And as long as the wheel centres are in the same position there is no change of load. Matco have a wheel that is suitable and more or less a slot on and connect up AND I can use the spats.

There are Cloudsters flying with Cub wheels and no spats but I have the original spats and would like to use them. There are also Cloudsters flying that have probably not had the effort I am exerting to get the system right and so may well have substandard parts (you should have seen some of the stuff I have already replaced!)

As for reinventing the wheel, I am not really doing that, just changing the way they are stopped using proprietry parts! There are so few Cloudsters flying that whatever I do other than what was originally fitted is more or less new ground. It is like my glass roof. I had to design that too as some of those on existing Cloudsters did not fill the PFA with joy!

The only problem now is how and where to mount the master cylinders.

M

Member for

20 years 4 months

u said right melv, it's a matter of finding a braking system which allows u to have a progressive control on them. Are the brake pedals on top of the rudder ones? The original config of the Rearwin was with a tailskid or tailwheel?

Alex

Original config was a tailwheel, the same as the one I have (mine is no3!)

The brakes are heel brakes and are positioned well for how you need to use them. They are not used for stopping the aeroplane at all, just jostling it back on line when the rudder doesn't work.