Dambusters remake is on, says Peter Jackson

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

The article is in todays Daily Telegraph, behind a paywall, but seemingly, this long-planned project is now underway.

''With a new adventure in cinemas soon,
 Peter Jackson is now working on a ‘Dam Busters’ remake. Jane Mulkerrins meets him''

Original post

Member for

20 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6440769/Oscar-winning-director-Peter-Jackson-reveal-secret-truth-iconic-Dambusters-raid.html

He has now confirmed his plans for a remake after trying to get the project off the ground for almost ten years.

'We are clinging on to the rights for The Dam Busters and we have them for another year or two,

'It's just a great story. It's always been a great story. But it's an even greater story now than it was in 1955 because back then there was still so much of the story that was under the Official Secrets Act.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Not gonna hold my breath.

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 2 months

If anyone can bring a project of this magnitude together it is Peter Jackson and his team.
Their track record of huge, long term projects speaks for itself.
I wish them the best and I believe that they will tell this story with the greatest reverence and respect.

Andy

Member for

20 years

Got rights to the movie - CHECK - Got script drafted - CHECK - has ACTUALLY BUILT REPLICA AIRCRAFT -CHECK - Has a hooge amount of cash and movie making experience behind him CHECK - his model company has just released one of the most detailled models of the Lanc ever built - CHECK.

Why would anyone think he wouldnt make it!

TT

Member for

19 years 5 months

Now let the forum bickering about the nationality of cast, filming locations, CGI vs real aeroplanes, and script begin.

And don't forget the dog...:)

Member for

18 years 1 month

Mr Boyle, you're a very naughty boy!

...But I'll bite. All American cast flying B-17 Dambuster conversions, filmed entirely in South Carolina, CGI created on a Dragon 32 computer, Script details our US friends breaching the dams, thus flooding the Eagles Nest and drowning Hitler, ending the war 20 years early and Digger the dog receives Congressional Medal of Honor for designing the bomb and leading the entire raid.

There, that should do it.....so hopefully we can move along! :D

Member for

20 years

I think cynicism is inappropriate.

Surely PJ has the credentials to make an outstanding film, as a great supporter and investor in historic aircraft of the utmost accuaracy?. Has he not cast, and built new tool-room copies WW1 rotary engines, and assembled a whole squadron of incredible Great War aeroplanes ? Has he not already created half a dozen full-size Lancaster models that appear to be stunningly convincing ? Name another director with a better CV to do this.

The story itself is bursting with drama, tension, and issues of human frailty. What else does he have to do to convince us that the project is safe in his hands, and that he has a good chance of making an outstanding film ?

Member for

6 years 2 months

I just hope it makes it over to my side of the pond, unlike Hurricane Squadron 303 ...

Member for

19 years 5 months

Certainly the sentiments expressed by Jackson in the Daily Mail piece gives us hope of a fine film.
If there is anyone else with the ability and willingness to do it correctly, I suppose it would be him.

Member for

15 years 5 months

"What else does he have to do to convince us that the project is safe in his hands, and that he has a good chance of making an outstanding film ?"

Keep the dog's name as Nigger.

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

"Has he not already created half a dozen full-size Lancaster models that appear to be stunningly convincing?" He has! Plus another four!

Member for

14 years 7 months

I think any "controversy" may come from the fact that most people probably take the 1950's version of the film to be 100% the true story. An historically accurate film of the raid - rather than an accurate remake of the myth - will probably upset a lot of people - especially in Daily Mail land.

Member for

14 years

It didn't take long for a supposedly mature conversation about 617 Squadron's heroic exploits to descend into a tawdry and pointless sniggering about an effing dog. Disappointed.

Member for

15 years 3 months

hi,
after the kind heads up about the Twelve o'clock High series on you tube, and the weather being terrible I got hooked, i'm near the end of series 1. Sorry for waffling on, the point of the post is that in S1 E22 the USAAF did a dam raid, in a P.51 with 2x 500lb bombs... job done.

regards,
jack...

Member for

20 years

Please take any dog bolleaux to your own thread in General Discussion.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Digger the Dog - priceless

Member for

15 years 5 months

Like it or not , the dog's name was Nigger . We should not try to rewrite history as a matter of politically correct convenience.

Member for

14 years

The dog's name is only mentioned because it's a 'rude word' and people like to snigger like schoolkids about it or get angry and pretend it's about supposed Political Correctness without any real reason to get angry. The same sort of people who get annoyed because The Daily Mail tells them to, I'm guessing.

bug**er! He he he. Kind of like that but without the thinly-veiled racism.

Member for

20 years

........................every time.......................

Member for

5 years 5 months

Remind me please.... what are we all falling out over? I for one very much look forward to seeing Peter Jacksons film.