Dambusters remake is on, says Peter Jackson

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

What the knuckle draggers dont tell you, is that Peter Jackon wanted the dogs name kept, but research showed he had a different name beforehand, so he put both together, hence Digger.

Of course a single letter is more important than an accurate movie; much longer; in more detail and in colour, lets all boycott that eh ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am a huge Tolkien fan!!! I have hobbit themed garden!

Member for

15 years 5 months

You guys amaze me .
On the one hand you waffle on and pontificate about the need for accuracy with regard to almost any historical artefact yet you are quite prepared to edit history to suit your own thoughts.
By the way , juvenile name calling such as above by Sadsack does you no favours.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Right.

This is supposed to be a forum about historic aircraft, not a forum where people speculate in advance about something they may or may not be offended by.

Moderating here has become harder since the forum revamp, it takes up a lot more time.

I haven't even discussed this with my fellow mods, but from here on in any post on a Dambuster film thread even alluding to Nigger, whether using his name, a version of his name or even the word 'dog' I will blitz. Not edit, just delete. I hope the more serious members here will appreciate this decision.

And it starts here.

Moggy

Member for

20 years

Outstanding ! Christmas has come early. Moggy vanquishes dog......

Member for

15 years 5 months

Historical facts should never be rewritten or censored .... not for any reason!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thank you Dave.

You made that point already, back at post #26.

Can we now return to discussing the movie? (Though frankly there is little to say right now)

Moggy

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 2 months

Operation Chastise!

That's what the movie's about!

Member for

8 years 11 months

Occurs to me that Jackson has made his name in the multi part film series stuff. This could well bring along a film of 617s later exploits, or two. After all, so much of the infrastructure of the dambusters film would be readily applicable to a sequel. The Tirpitz campaign anyone?

Member for

20 years 6 months

^^^^^^^^ Just wondered if there would be that much interest for the film goers at the Cinema.^^^^^^

Member for

19 years 5 months

In the recent Daily Mail article that seems to have precipitated this thread, Jackson was quoted as saying the old film was a bit "romanticized".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6440769/Oscar-winning-director-Peter-Jackson-reveal-secret-truth-iconic-Dambusters-raid.htm

lf he is looking to make more of a historical film (and less of a standard " the good guys win" film the original occasionally comes across as) one wonders if the film will address the matter of civilian (forced laborers apparently) casualties...

See Moggy, back on topic...

Member for

17 years 7 months

I would have agreed with Trumper above in that I couldn't see this who would go and watch this however I was amazed to see BoxOfficeMojo lists Dunkirk as grossing $527m worldwide so it would seem there is indeed a market for historical remakes.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Dunkirk - $527 million
Hacksaw Ridge - $175 million
Fury - $211 million
Darkest Hour - $150 million
The Eternal Zero - $85 million
Inglourious Basterds - $321 million
Unbroken - $163 million

Let's not forget that there's a new Midway project on the go, plus another film about the Battle of Britain has been touted, and from Ridley Scott, no less.

The appetite is there for war films, it just depends on the story and the interest in it.

(FYI, Dunkirk is NOT a remake - it just has the same name as the 1950s film)

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yes there is an appetite for well made films ,i don't think you could have a 3 series film like the Lord of the Rings ,Star Wars type francise.

Member for

10 years

Three films with Lancasters - why not! The first one could cover the Augsburg low level daylight raid - there's enough drama there to last a couple of hours.

Member for

8 years 11 months

One bomb left and the dam still standing, "Use the force Guy".

Member for

18 years 2 months

Possible film confusion there snibble; the Star Wars, Death Star sequence is allegedly based on 633 Squadron! ;)

Member for

20 years 7 months

But some of the dialogue from Star Wars is loosely based on that from The Dam Busters.

Member for

20 years

Ok film fans. Name the movie , featuring the following dialogue..

'' I'm in range.
Target's coming up.
Just hold them off for a few seconds.
Close up formation
Almost there.
You'd better let her loose
Almost there. I can't hold them.
Aah! It's away! It's a hit!
Negative, negative. It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface
Red Leader, we're right above you.
Turn to.05.
We'll cover for you. Stay there