6 Sqn Hawker Tempests 1947 F/L/ D.W. Sturgeon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Morning all, just a quick brain pick if I may.

My old mate Doug Sturgeon who sadly passed away a couple of years ago had a fascinating RAF career beginning as a pre-war armourer on 19 Sqn at DX then trained as a pilot (twice!) at Sywell before going on to Whirlwinds with 263 Sqn thence Typhoons and Mossies.

On 25th February 1947 he was ferrying a Tempest V from (I think) El Adem, when it developed an engine fault and he had to bail out over the Med. He floated in his dinghy for a number of days before being picked up by a Royal Navy ship (he punched a Petty Officer but that's another story)

Long story short, I would like to make a model of his Tempest - would it be in silver or camo at this stage and does anyone know the serial number of the machine involved?

TT

Original post

Member for

14 years

Hi TT,

Can't tie down the serial number, but in that timeframe it (technically) would have been a Tempest VI.

Colour scheme in that timeframe should still be the wartime dark green/ocean grey/medium sea grey colour scheme, with a sky tail band and wartime Type "C" national markings. The overall silver scheme was introduced in late 1947.

This is only very generalised info - for specifics, Chris Thomas is one of the Typhoon/Tempest experts and I am sure he will be able to tie down a serial number, individual code letter ("JV" was 6 Squadron's code) etc.

Think he used to be on here, he is certainly active on the Britmodeller forum.

Member for

20 years

Sky Dancer, thats brilliant thanks very much for your kind help! ATB TT

Member for

20 years

Absolutely brilliant thank you Mr Rat- old Douggie meant the world to me, he left me his Caterpillar badge from this incident in his will. This is brilliant info- thank you again- top man!

TT