Cockpit-Fest 2019

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Not having been to Newark C/pit Fest for some 4 years now, was quite stunned by the way it has all been set up and even the Museum site and displays them selves (Internal and external ) I turned up on the Saturday in company with Terry P. and grandson and was very impressed by it all. Hats off and back slapping all round for Newark Air Museum folks. The new café was ideally situated for a beautiful summers day which set a brilliant back drop for the Dakota and Spitfire fly-pasts the visitors seemed to be having a really good,relaxed family atmosphere time. Must also say a big thank you to the ATC Unit and staff for their excellent,friendly marshalling in place for the visitors cars. (us ).

It was of course the time to meet up with old friends, ( Ian--Mike--Allanx2--Malcom---Garry, etc ) check out the Aerojumble and wander around. It was great to meet up with the 2 enthusiastic gentlemen who brought the Seahawk C/pit all the way down from Scotland. (Steve ) and also the chap (from Scotland ) who brought down that wonderful,very atmospheric little "shed" that was set up as a radio shack conversing with Lancaster Bombers crews on the big raids into Germany WW2.( keep that seat till next year m8 I'll save up the dosh for it ). Also seeing the small display for scrapped Victor 2, XL-161 got my interest.

The 2 flypasts in the afternoon had interesting post scripts. The Spitfire flypast certainly fired up the 2 ladies I was standing near to, I cannot possibly quote their comments here. Whilst wandering around near the Hastings area there was a noise that sounded like the RAF Dakota was heading back our way, folks swivelled around ,swung out their camera's and got ready, the noise got louder and it seemed that this was a low pass coming in over the hedge lining the passing road. Expecting the Dak to come through the gap in the hedge we were treated to the glorious sight and sound of an ancient, smoky tractor passing left to right. A lot of sheepish ,grinning faces as we looked at each other-----lol !!!!

Totally brilliant day out. Terry got his nephew a flying suit, that he immediately put on and as 3 happy bunnies, we departed the scene not long after the Spitfire fly past.

Bill T.

Member for

20 years 4 months

I went on the Saturday and really enjoyed the day.
It was good to see such a strong showing of cockpits of a variety of types.
My personal favourites were Tony Collins' Venom and (again) the Brigand cockpit rig.
Well done to the Newark team.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hi Howard, is it just my phone or are the photos in your gallery blurred?! :confused:

Member for

18 years 2 months

I rarely look at the NAM Galleries on my phone, but like you say they seem blurred - I've just had a look an they also took ages to load. This seems very strange as they're fine on my PC, laptop & tablet!!

Not sure what can be done to sort the issue!! :confused:

There's a few on this website including yours!! https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press19/namcockpitfestprjun2019.htm

Member for

18 years 5 months

I rarely look at the NAM Galleries on my phone, but like you say they seem blurred - I've just had a look an they also took ages to load. This seems very strange as they're fine on my PC, laptop & tablet!!

Not sure what can be done to sort the issue!! :confused:

There's a few on this website including yours!! https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press19/namcockpitfestprjun2019.htm

Ive just checked the photos from work and they look fine and loaded quickly.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thank you for the additional feedback.

Member for

18 years 2 months

There's a double page write up about this year's Cockpit-Fest in the September edition of FlyPast magazine! :eagerness:

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for the heads up Howard, at least it’s great to see a double page spread on this superb event rather than a brief mention and for this I congratulate FlyPast magazine.

Member for

18 years 2 months

It's always good to see any coverage fro events at the museum, on this occasion Jamie, the Assistant Editor from FlyPast was at Cockpit-Fest for most of the day on the Saturday - long may the event and coverage for it continue! :applause:

Member for

19 years 3 months

Whilst it is nice to see a double page spread about Cockpitfest in the latest Flypast, it is disappointing that it does not cover much if anything on the excellent internal hangar displays. The displays are very diverse and tons of work goes into every cockpit or display. There does also seem to be something against earlier exhibits. My cockpit and B-25 nose did not even warrant a mention, even though it is the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain Film. That said, any coverage on this delightful event is warmly welcome. Just my opinion.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Some interesting feedback there Rocketeer; to be honest initially I wasn't aware that the Assistant Editor was at the museum until I happened to bump into him out on the Southfield Site (from memory it was about 10m or so from your display) - I did highlight that there were displays in Hangar 2 etc., but I'm not sure how he followed that up.

There were great displays all around the site & I will make sure that everything is covered in the NAM Newsletter write-up.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Does anyone on the forum know Stuart Gowan. Apparently has a replica Spitfire cockpit and a C119 cockpit? Any leads much appreciated!

Member for

18 years 2 months

Stuart is a member of this forum and does occasionally post about these parts.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Yep Stuart is on this forum and is on Facebook, thoroughly good egg - I've sent him a Facebook message to highlight you're after him!

TT

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks guys, most kind!