Looking for a place to put a 40’ shipping container (Avro Anson I shipment)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I’m due to ship a container full on Anson mk1 parts to the UK soon. I’m looking for somewhere I can park it for a year. Are there any museums, or other sites in the UK that might have spare corner somewhere?

IMG_9636 by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

DSCN7213 by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

DSCN7199 by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

IMG_9666 by Elliott Smock, on Flickr

Thanks in advance

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Which port will it be coming in to? You probably want a location between the port and it’s final location, next year, to reduce shipping costs.

There are are self store companies that hire out space in containers. They already have the infrastructure of security and insurance and might be willing to rent you the ground space.

Member for

19 years

As you say, when the additional information is provided, a potential benefactor will step forward to offer free accommodation for this important project!

Member for

20 years 1 month

just for consideration It will need lifting Elliot, Unless it has fork pockets, and very few 40' Shipping containers do, it will have to be lifted by crane. A standard 40' weighs between 3750kg and 3900 kg empty.

Member for

18 years 2 months

With regards to lifting, most good transport companies will have a Hiab lorry capable of offloading and positioning a loaded 40 foot container - if you're struggling in that department drop me a PM and I can provide you with some contacts.

Member for

9 years 7 months

If it's coming into Felixstowe container port then Bentwaters isn't a million miles away, where I can see from my office window, an aviation museum and a container storage facility. I have no links to either but you could see if either are willing to help.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks everyone for your posts and advice - I added some pics to the first post to give it a bit more substance. The shipment will probably arrive in the northwest, so it would be logical to store it nearby but I am open to storage anywhere in the UK.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Member for

10 years 1 month

Can you tell us anythng about the long term plans? Looks like a great project!

Member for

20 years 7 months

I rent space in a very secure yard between Winchester & Popham Airfield, so if it came in at Southampton & not the Northeast, it would be very close. Lots of spare space available if needed in the rest of the yard.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Lucky fellow! I always wanted a Mk1 Cockpit

Member for

15 years

Elliott
There may be space locally on an airfield I live local to.
Graham

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 3 months

Hi All,
Apologies for raising this old thread but I came across it by accident during another search, has there been any further developments ? Like already stated a local nearer it's final destination would be ideal but I would imagine for a nominal fee a farm would store it if you cannot find a free storage spot.

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I am sure East Kirkby would help

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the interest. The latest news is I have found somewhere to part the container so all good for the moment.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thats a cracking project Elliot!

Member for

15 years 7 months

Elliot, if your previous placement plans fall through then feel free to get in touch and we'll see if we can help at East Kirkby