Mystery item what the heck is it?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 2 months

I had some aviation goodies arrive from an auction house and this was in with it, I've no idea the only wording is R107 it is a prism hand scratched on the rear is the word light. I thought it could come from a gun sight I don't know has anyone any thoughts.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3855048}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3855049}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3855050}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":3855051}[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hmm. Looking at what look like precision-machined lugs (with inset, probably spring-loaded, ball bearings to hold it hard against the opposite surfaces) makes me think it is a calibrating, collimating or sighting device for a piece of equipment which requires precise alignment. The viewer peers into the 45 degree-angled mirror to view along the sighting path.

This could be a gun, gun sight or optical equipment alignment tool. It doesn't look like an operational/flying part to me.

Anon.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Reminds me of the top of a periscopic sextant, probably an internal component anyway.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I agree with Anon - looks similar to a Collimator/Sighting/Harmonization/Levelling device,the 6 x Location 'Lugs' look very much like collimator/levelling type mountings/locators.