Supermarine Sea Lion I G-EALP

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

I understand that, after sinking off Bournemouth during the 1919 Schneider Trophy Race, Sea Lion I G-EALP was salvaged and its hull was put on display at the Science Museum, South Kensington, in 1921. Does anyone know for how long it was on display and what became of it subsequently?

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Having contacted the Science Museum, it tells me that its archives contain no reference to G-EALP having been on display at South Kensington and, in consequence, it doesn't know what might have become of the hull (if it had been displayed in the museum). So it looks as if it's another of A.J.Jackson's uncorroborated assertions, for which we don't, and won't, know the basis.

Member for

15 years 3 months

I have seen other references to this going on display, maybe in a magazine of the time? I got the feeling it was a temporary exhibition, probably resulting in a bonfire? I am guessing that they had little interest in such a 'new item' long term. Indeed I remember reading that the famous editor of The Aeroplane CG Grey castigated the museum for preserving Amy Johnson's Moth less the place ended up full of old, worthless aircraft! Sadly the Science Museum has never really promoted its collection and the website is very poor with no history of each air frame unlike the RAFM website.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, FR. Searching Flight magazine for 1919-22, using the words 'Science Museum', produces nothing relating to the Schneider Trophy Sea Lion. I can't undertake the exercise for The Aeroplane, but if when next you're visiting The Hub ..... ! Also, they may have there a copy of 'Aeronautics : Catalogue of the Collection in the Science Museum, South Kensington' (HMSO, 1922), although if that does contain any reference to the hull of G-EALP I would have thought that my enquiry of the Science Museum would have thrown this up.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I wouldn't worry too much about the museum having no record of it having been put on display as a lot of early stuff is poorly documented. I asked about the preservation of the S6B some time back and they had hardly anything reliable pre-war.

Member for

12 years

"Schneider Trophy Racers" (Robert Hirsch, Motorbooks) says "After the contest the aircraft was dismantled and the hull was loaned to the Science Museum for a 1921 exhibition." That suggests that the reason the museum have no record is that it was never theirs. The ultimate fate will rest with Supermarine. As to what the exhibition was, and when, I don't have an answer.

A note re: searching in old magazines. I've noticed that it was often called simply "the South Kensington Museum" at that time. The 'Science' part comes later.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yes, Schneiderman, but if they haven't, who has?

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thank you, Lazy8. Trouble is that there were - and are - a lot of South Ken museums, viz. Victoria & Albert and Natural History as well as the Science.

Member for

12 years

Indeed. Although the museums themselves differentiated between their various functions from 1899 onwards (thank you, Wikipedia), my point was that magazines like The Aeroplane adopted a rather superior air and 'failed to notice' the other museums. If you search them for "Science Museum" you won't find it, even if they've an article about that building on Exhibition Road.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Flight 14th October 1920 notes the opening of the revamped aeronautical gallery at the Science Museum (yes, they do use the full name) and lists some of the exhibits. The Sea Lion is not mentioned, but that does not mean it was not on display.