Hurricane Nose profiles- not always quite the same

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Having seven Hurricanes to observe at Old Warden last Sunday gave a chance to see that not all Hurricanes have quite the same outline in the upper cowling .

No 2 looks a bit , well, beaky, I suppose !
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3867572}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":3867573}[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

11 years 1 month

There can be an oil-deflector. Not a bad thing, if you're trying to see forward towards the sun...

Is the oil deflector the rim on the front of the cowling in the upper pic?

Member for

24 years 3 months

This obvious difference has been discussed before, and appears to be a sensitive subject. No owner having paid x million £ for a piece of hardware will want to be told, ‘it’s wrong’. Neither will the manufacturer. But Propstrike’s excellent photographs speak for themselves.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I noticed this at the weekend, i was thinking it was to do with the engine, MK11 Hurricanes had a two stage engine, and a longer bearer by about 6 inches................maybe that's why ?

Thank you Kurt - always wondered what it was.

Member for

15 years 4 months

No, both photos are of Mk.Is and the top piece was the same on both marks.

Member for

20 years 10 months

All the latest restorations seem to have this angular profile. Also noted that the roundels on the upper wings are all different too - on P2902 the red circles seem way too big, and on V7497 they're too small? Are these changes accurate?

Member for

6 years 7 months

Is something encorperated on all the hurricanes to come out of Hawker Restorations?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe it's easier to fabricate a single-curvature panel (second photo) rather than the double-curvature panel in the first?

Member for

13 years 11 months

The cowling ahead of the windscreen on the second (new) one doesn't appear to slope downward/taper as much as the original, which would seem to indicate that the upper cowl former just aft of the exhaust is also taller/more pronounced. Note also how much closer the blister on the main upper cowl panel is to the exhaust stacks on the second (new) one compared to the first (original) one, illustrating just how much less height there is at the front of that panel compared to the original - the upper cowl former ahead of the exhaust obviously being shorter than the original, and with the main upper cowling having to really tuck down to join with it. Having seen photos of the 7 gathered Hurricanes last weekend, I noticed a sort of gradient between those with the most constant, continuous contours, to the couple most recent ones with more broken/angular lines (V7497 being the most striking, followed by P2902, which isn't as noticeable).

In the Mustang enthusiast/modeling circles, a somewhat related item has been noted with the two new-buld P-51B's, "Impatient Virgin" and "Berlin Express", where the upper countour/line of the cowlings-to-windscreen isn't quite correct to the originals - instead of having the characteristic P-51B/C "hump" over the firewall, they have a "kink" in the upper line over the firewall. On those two, the paneling in front of the windscreen slopes downward to meet the firewall, rather than being a straight line to the firewall as on the originals. In both the case of these Mustangs, and the Hurricanes, it can be simply a matter of an inch or less difference.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Spinners different shape also.

Member for

5 years 6 months

it can be simply a matter of an inch or less difference.

Aha, on this site of ours a difference of 1 millimetre would be glaring to some!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Robert, spinners are different because the Sea Hurricane has a Rotol Prop and the other a Hamilton Standard

Member for

17 years 11 months

The difference is the front height of the fuel tank cover .

Member for

14 years 5 months

I could be mischievous here and talk about what I found when I started measuring centre section spar orientation across several flying examples. Millimetres do matter sometimes ~ they must all fly differently, but it never gets mentioned, probably for very good reasons, I was told to stop.

Member for

17 years 11 months

I have never had two aircraft fly the same

Member for

14 years 5 months

There you go. But you won't hear anyone whose flown two examples of the same mark of Hurricane mentioning the difference.. the subject gets more taboo the more money has been spent.

Member for

24 years 3 months

There you go. But you won't hear anyone whose flown two examples of the same mark of Hurricane mentioning the difference.. the subject gets more taboo the more money has been spent.

Going slightly off the original topic but as Beermat alludes to, the Hurricane is indeed as described by its pilots quirky, and whilst it might not be common knowledge, it has been mentioned by several current Hurricane pilots who've flown different examples, that each aircraft does fly slightly differently, (some more than others), even if they came from the same restoration shop!

Dave Southwood is on record as saying that for a given mark of Spitfire (even from different restorers), they are "a bit like peas from a pod", in that for a given mark, they fly very similar.

Whereas his experience of the Hurricane was "I've flown 3 or 4 different Hurricanes now, and every one is completely different"!

I asked this question to Stu Goldspink last year when he was giving the pilot chat about AR501 at Old Warden, and he confirmed this, and bare in mind that at the time he had flown 11 different marks of Hurricane!

(I won't divulge his least favourite, but let's just say he wasn't sure he should be telling the audience, given the location!)

Cheers

Paul

Member for

12 years 8 months

The forward cowlings on the new build Hurricane MkI`s really are awful and they detract from what are wonderful rebuilds. I have always been a firm believer in the old saying, " If you are going to do something, do it right the first time". I can forgive the later MkII type Dowty tailwheels assemblies, but surely a correct profile engine cowling isn`t too difficult to replicate?. Someone has said that it may be due to lack of knowledge of English Wheel techniques. Also being cheeky , but fish tail exhausts on a Battle of Britain Hurricane? :-D. The poor Hurricane does seem to be the subject of make do in some areas like props, exhausts and tail wheels that other rebuilds don,t suffer from.