Beaufighter to Fly!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 8 months

Peter Vacher relates the tale of how he got R4118 out of an Indian university in the current Aeroplane Monthly, perhaps he could help?

Member for

16 years 3 months

I don't know whether this is worth mentioning, but up to about twenty years ago, there was a Hercules engine, on a stand, in a surplus store I used to frequent. Not being interested in aero-engines, I cannot say what Mark it was but it was in very good order.

I didn't visit the shop for quite a few years but when I eventually called back in the Hercules was gone.

IIRC, the proprietor of the shop told me it had gone to some sort of educational facility. The memory is really dim but I want to say this facility was either in Scotland or the far North West of England.

I wonder if it's one you've tracked down in your search for parts?

p.s. the news that work on the Beaufighter is progressing is wonderful - good luck with it.

Member for

16 years 3 months

A big visual clue as to whether a Hercules engine, seen in store or on display somewhere, is of the (war time) type needed by this project is the fact that, almost exclusively, they were painted all-over black. This practice seems to have been discontinued at the end of the war.

OK, there will be exceptions but over-all, this was the case. Presumably because a big round silver radial would have stood out like a sore thumb on a camouflaged aircraft.

Anon.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
What about Guy Black wouldn't he know exactly the correct contacts ?

Geoff.

Member for

16 years 3 months

almost exclusively, they were painted all-over black. Anon.

That's my memory of it....

Member for

18 years 7 months

You are correct about the black finish. "After anodising iaw Technical Instruction T.N. 73 the exterior was black enamelled to Tech. Instruction T.N. 3"

Thats the next challenge guys, find the Bristol Tech instructions for that period.

Member for

20 years

Bit left field, but have you ever tried the Dominican Republic? They used Beaus post war.

Member for

21 years

Bit left field, but have you ever tried the Dominican Republic? They used Beaus post war.

As did Turkey, which acquired about 30 of them at the end of WW2.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Follow up on the Shuttleworth Collection tip, they have an online ARCHIVE RESEARCH SERVICE - DATABASE LOOKUP

This was the result of my search for Hercules. (cut and paste disappeared, try your own search)

http://www.shuttlewortharchives.co.u...rch_type=loose

Member for

6 years 2 months

This is great news Pete! Best of luck with what I’m sure will be a challenging journey.

ATB,
Kurt

Member for

15 years 7 months

I do hope that eventually the aircraft is finished in its RAAF scheme. Did a massive amount of research on its real history. Shall be quite a sight when it flies

Member for

14 years 8 months

Great news, hope you find all that you need to get her flying.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Does this mean that the TFC are back in the twin engine game or is the Beau a one off ? I wish them all the best with this it would be superb to see her get airborne :)

Member for

11 years 5 months

What is the take off run of a Beaufighter in zero wind and how does that compare with the length of Duxford’s main runway?

Member for

18 years 7 months

How many crew, fuel load, basic weight, etc? Duxford not a problem even with all the variables.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Beaufighter VI, what do you need to know regarding the propellers? You mentioned them a while back, sorry, I was away.. but I can probably help. I have been giving a little help lately to a couple of other Hercules engined projects - I might even find you a better alternative than the obvious. I know your main problem is big US 3-blade Hamiltons are all right-handed. P & P, are you listening in?

Member for

18 years 7 months

The props we are looking for are:-
Australia - 33EX, Australian DH No. 35, blades AP455960A.

British - Model No. 3/5000/6, Type No. 55/12 or 14, blades P455960A-17 and P4551778A-17.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Beaufighter VI - Came across this site any help with putting you on track ?

Scroll down to 13th advert http://spitfirespares.co.uk/propellors.html

Thinking right outside the box here:- Is it worth chasing this old story ? We know one came to grief but what happened to the others when they broke down as the article mentions ? Scrap yard/Buried in pits out of site being as they were not meant to have them ?

http://segulamag.com/en/articles/sky-heist/

More info regarding above (Scroll down to Beau's) :- http://www.machal.org.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=459&Itemid=790&lang=en

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Thanks for all the leads guys, keep em' coming.