Beaufighter to Fly!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Oh my..............so happy to hear the Beau project is kicking in again........this and the Mossie projects have been at the top of my 'hope to see fly before I die' list since they started.

Member for

5 years 7 months

Yes, very good to hear that progress is being made! I have found it hard to believe that suitable Hercules engines could not be found and, it sounds like they have! Tremendous! :)
Please publish as much as possible about this!

V

Member for

15 years 8 months

The Shuttleworth Collection has a library which might contain useful data, a search for Beaufighter found several technical manuals.
I searched for "magneto" and among the numerous car related was a Simms FST 14s mk1 . Is this what is required ?
A search for Bristol Hercules found twenty different engine technical manuals.

Contact the library direct to arrange a visit. Opening times are limited but try to speak to Jim Greaves, I would guess that technical manuals like this may be in storage.

regards Paul

Member for

17 years 11 months

At least the question "will it be at legends" cannot be asked, I think its been at every one !!!:angel:

Member for

18 years 7 months

Thanks guys for all of your help, have located some of the manuals we need and on the trail of others.
CADman thanks for the nudge about the Shuttleworth Collection. When we started the restoration all those years ago the Chief Engineer, Chris Morris, helped us with engine manuals, remiss of me to not think their library might have grown.
Outside of the forum we have been approached with offers of AY4 & 6 CSU's, early engine sump, ignition harness complete, magneto's various and an AIT132 carb.
Now about those propellers!
Will keep you updated on further wants and see if we can enhance the TFC web page as regards progress on Beaufighter and CR-42, no promises.

Member for

12 years 5 months

I remember many years ago at Duxford when work was starting on the Beaufighter my friends and i were told by Pete Rushen that it would take about 20 years to get it flying.
That seemed like an eternity !
Well, 20 years came and went , and after all the various negative comments you read here and there, its nice to have confirmation that it is still hopefully going to happen. It certainly going to be up there with the Mossie and XP-82 restorations.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Keefy041, that was me, I got it wrong!
But look what else the team put in the air whilst you have been waiting, heading towards a century believe it or not.

Member for

7 years 3 months

All good things come to those who wait. Keep up the detective work mate. I just wonder how much reverse engineering can be done with the herc engines and carbs? I mean look at the guys in NZ who make brand new rotary engines.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Beaufighter VI, You are forgiven.
Absolutely, lots of exciting things and still more to come hopefully. The Fiat CR42 is eagerly awaited by many too as is the Spit 22.
And perhaps one day the Sea fury ?

Member for

5 years 7 months

It looks like you are well on your way to getting the information you need. If you still need other information, we carry an overhaul manual on the Hercules 630 series engines of 1948 from the Bristol aeroplane company. An Ansett engineers course notes on the Hercules 734 and a R.A.F. training course on the Bristol Hercules engine III,X,XI

Member for

18 years 7 months

Thanks Dade, will get back to you if we find holes in the information we have.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Peter - email sent!

Member for

14 years 7 months

Can anyone remind me when it arrived? Remember seeing it in bits with a Disney Character painted on the nose iirc!

Member for

18 years 7 months

Seem to recall packing the bits in two containers in Sydney in February 1996, so allowing for shipping............

Member for

18 years 10 months

Wondering if Aviation Warehouse out at El Mirage in Calif might have some Brit manuals...

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
You have more than likely thought of the following but hey! here is my two penneth.....;)

What about the RAAF Museum/SAAF Museum/USAAF Museum/NASM/IAF Museum ? in deed any air arm that had acquired them no mater how short, I mean after all they would want all the paperwork etc for servicing wouldn't they ? Maybe the manuals never got binned by some forward thinking chap as he hid them away when the aircraft where scrapped ?

What about Foreign scrapyards/Independent restorations of aircraft with similar engines ? What the many engines that have been restored to ground running condition/Kermit Weeks/NAFMC ? I should imagine a general wide search no matter how tedious it would be or an outside the box thinking request in some non aviation related sites as an outside chance ?

There could even possibly be one just sitting in a box up someone's Loft/Garage/Lock Up/Shed or long forgotten storage area of a factory etc.etc. just gathering dust as part of items no longer needed ?

Any help ?:- http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=...anual&_sacat=0

and :- http://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_ite...K&_mPrRngCbx=1

or:- http://www.slideshare.net/TonyMoran1...-engine-manual

or Have a trawl through these somebody maybe of help ? :-http://www.warbirdsonline.com.au/category/warbird-restoration-projects/dap-beaufighter/

In the end like already mentioned this is great news of some movement on a much want to see flyable restoration, you will succeed if you want to and time is on your side not forgetting patience is a virtue with all you restorers....:eagerness:

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Yes, engines are out there but getting hold of them is a different story. We are aware of two engines in the original stands gathering dust in an Indian University. So far no luck in getting them out.

Maybe you know somebody who could?

What happened to Jagen (?) who used to post on here, I seem to recall he was quite an authority on historic aviation and relics in India?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Tried him some years back, no luck.