Conservation Advice relics and relic instrument panel

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

I’m hoping some of the experts on here may be able to help a three pronged question.

Firstly a local museum I help at has an instrument panel from a crash site that is made up as complete as they could from when it was dug in the 70s. Since then it’s been dug again, as well as them keeping the bits they dug but didn’t use. Thus I’m sure it can be made to be more complete.

Question is there are many small fragments of light alloy painted black which I’m presuming is largely from the instrument panel. Is there any clever way of straightening them so at least the jigsaw makes a little bit of sense or has impact/heat made that likely an impossible task and I shouldn’t even try?

Second question on other relic parts deterioration is obvious. I have seen heat treatment mentioned in reusing parts on airframes that won’t fly again and was wondering if anyone can give a simple dos and don’ts and best way to get results and preserve rather than damage any items.

Lastly the panel has few dials in it but not all and stored are some broken instruments that presumably no one knew which instrument they were for and thus where they should go. I would like to include these but is there any paperwork/drawings etc that show the backs/interior/internal workings of and fittings of instruments for Spitfire as some have copper pipes, some rubber, some multiple etc. so I’m sure they can be identified properly but seeking best way to do that.

Any advice gratefully received

Many thanks
Steve

Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sounds an interesting project. Spit panels are quite thick so straightening depends how bent it is. I've managed to partially flatten a blind flying panel by annealing and squeezing in a soft jawed vise. It should be possible to identify correct backs and fronts for the instruments. Do post some pics.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I have unbent many crashed parts - slowly is the answer - metal bending pliers are very useful as is an anvil with an anvil stake - the pointed end of the stake is useful for the hard creases. Depends on which metal it is - dural or aluminum and thickness - how difficult it is.

Thinking about each bend and working toward creases helps. A soft head hammer aluminium or plastic stops hammer marks ( unless it is dural). You can also hold the stake in a vice if needed.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Thank you guys appreciate the advice. Im first going to clean and sort all the pieces before I even think about straightening and will post some pictures although with a lot of small parts as the larger bits were already incorporated you will probably think I’m mad, but I hate seeing small pieces of provenanced history just being wasted when they can be made to be included in an improved display with some effort!

thanks again

steve