BBMF Dakota Engine Failure

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Being reported that 'Kwicherbichen' has made an emergency landing at Manchester Airport due to a failure of No.2 engine.

Hopefully there was a successful result all round and has resulted in no injuries.

Original post

Member for

10 years 5 months

Reportedly down safely. Fumes in cockpit, but not fire?

Member for

18 years 9 months

That's good. Yes, initial reports of fire have been changed to 'engine failure'. Thread title changed accordingly.

Glad she's apparently down safely.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Blimey, I was watching that thinking "Why the hell isn't the windmilling prop feathered?" - then realised that it was the refresh rate making the prop look slow, and the prop I thought was spinning was both dead and feathered!

Everyone is safe, let's hope that the damage isn't too bad.

Adrian

Member for

5 years 7 months

Nice work! The difficulty is a wheel landing from an approach with a speed appropriate for controlability on one engine - Vmca. That leaves a fair bit of excess groundspeed, esp as the wind looks minimal, whilst trying to carefully lose airspeed by reducing power on the working engine and opposing the rudder trim you had on when the power was just from the live engine.
Nicely done ! :)

V

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 2 months

Good explanation Vintage.
Nice work by the crew.
Always glad to hear of a successful outcome.

Why does the port engine (number 1) propeller look like it is feathered if the starboard engine (number 2) has failed?

Member for

12 years 3 months

Why does the port engine (number 1) propeller look like it is feathered if the starboard engine (number 2) has failed?
Not sure if you mean on the BBMF Dak or the Norwegian one, the Norwegian one had the port engine feathered but on landing shut down the starboard engine with oil coming from it, others on here may know the answer but it did look like he landed on half an engine.

I was referring to the BBMF one on the video in the link posted by alanl.
Rich82 says starboard engine failed!

Member for

18 years 4 months

much longer video here with decent audio... Is it me or does it look like she got a bit sideways in the rollout..? looks possibly like asymmetrical braking with one wheel lifted off due to crosswind perhaps?
Well controlled though. Hats off to the crew for bringing it to a good conclusion.
Well done lads☺ https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1172918496587632641?s=19

Member for

9 years 2 months

A very forgiving aircraft but a masterful piece of airmanship. Well done to all.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's an artefact of the filming - you'd never land anything in real life with a "live" prop running that slowly. If you watch carefully the prop appears to switch direction of rotation twice in quick succession about half way through the vid, and then switches again as it slows down. Unless the BBMF Dak has two-stroke engines fitted, they can't do that!

See this clip - where the bird is flapping at the same rate as the camera is recording frames - not quite the same effect, but close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyf79SI0U9Q

Adrian

Member for

20 years 6 months

It could be the shutter speed on the camera ,if the speeds are wrong it can freeze the rotation of the props or just sync them. .

Member for

7 years 11 months

BBMF do have their fair share of problems with the Dak's engines.

Member for

7 years 3 months

# 1 engine failed and was feathered. The propeller speed for #2 engine all depends on the cameras shutter speed at the time. If you are using a DSLR put it down to 1/60th and you get a decent prop blur.

Member for

14 years 9 months

The propeller speed for #2 engine all depends on the cameras shutter speed at the time. If you are using a DSLR put it down to 1/60th and you get a decent prop blur.

I think this depends on the minimum available ASA rating for the camera and the available light. My camera has a minimum ASA rating of 100 and I use a Neutral Density Filter 2 (ND2) to bring that down to 50 ASA. I set the camera onto Shutter Priority and, generally, the minimum shutter speed in the summer is 125/160. I get a nice prop blur using those settings.

Regards