C-47 Drag 'Em Oot - Arnhem Drops

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

Last week I was very fortunate to be onboard a C-47 Dakota as it carried out parachute drops in Arnhem, Holland to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Operation Market Garden. Anyone who has seen the movie 'A Bridge Too Far' will be familiar with the story... My dad and his friend John were both jumping and decided to raise funds for The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Memorial Fund. So far through cash donations and the Just Giving page, they have raised almost £3000 for a very worthy cause. Below is a film I put together of the events taking place on 'jump day'.

Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

Well done! Was nice to meet you. Regards, Arjan Vrieze

Member for

24 years 2 months

Fantastic clip Rob. Well put together and a memory you will not forget.
thank you for sharing.

Member for

21 years

Well done, Rob.
Thank you for putting this together and for publishing it.
Roy told me about you and we were glad to have you with us.
I was on Chalk 6 and I would be interested in the wingtip footage of the third stick of Chalk 6. I was the second one out of the door of that stick.
I would also be interested in the group photo of Chalk 6 just prior to boarding. I'm the one without camouflage net on his helmet.

It was a beautiful flight on a beautiful day. My thoughts were somewhat heavy, thinking of those young lads of 75 years earlier doing this with smaller parachutes, less suitable boots, loaded with equipment and without reserve parachute. Not to mention what awaited them…

Cheers, Transall.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice one Rob. When you going to gain your wings? :angel::D

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks folks - I really enjoyed putting this together for Dad and John. An amazing experience to be flying in a Market Garden veteran C-47 over the actual dropzones on the 75th Anniversary as my Dad jumped out...

Well done, Rob.
Thank you for putting this together and for publishing it.
Roy told me about you and we were glad to have you with us.
I was on Chalk 6 and I would be interested in the wingtip footage of the third stick of Chalk 6. I was the second one out of the door of that stick.
I would also be interested in the group photo of Chalk 6 just prior to boarding. I'm the one without camouflage net on his helmet.

It was a beautiful flight on a beautiful day. My thoughts were somewhat heavy, thinking of those young lads of 75 years earlier doing this with smaller parachutes, less suitable boots, loaded with equipment and without reserve parachute. Not to mention what awaited them…

Cheers, Transall.

Transall, I wish I had the footage for you, I'd love to share it but unfortunately I was only able to record Chalk 5. The Go Pro it was filmed on was my own and unfortunately I had to head back to Oosterbeek as soon as I got off the aircraft, taking the GoPro with me. You're welcome to any of the footage I do have, if it's of any interest to you.

Bob, jumping just isn't for me. If I'm ever jumping, it's a necessity!

Member for

21 years

Transall, I wish I had the footage for you, I'd love to share it but unfortunately I was only able to record Chalk 5. The Go Pro it was filmed on was my own and unfortunately I had to head back to Oosterbeek as soon as I got off the aircraft, taking the GoPro with me. You're welcome to any of the footage I do have, if it's of any interest to you.

Thanks, Rob.

That clears up some confusing aspects of the video for me. I knew from the list that your dad was on Chalk 5, but I seem to remember there was also a non-jumping observer with us on Chalk 6's flight. Now I guess both flights could have had a non-jumping observer.
I'll ask Roy about the group photo and possible footage of Chalk 6.

Cheers, Transall.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Fantastic work! Many thanks for sharing.