Proper Way to list someone's name

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi All,

Ok so I'm a little daff on the proper way to list someones name.

I'm in the process of work on a display for this years NAS Brunswick Airshow and Brunswick was home to the FAA/RN now I'm doing a article on SubLt. Grey who was the last person to be award the VC.

How do you list his name and what I mean is does the VC come first then his other awards or does the VC come last after his last name.

The reason I ask is because I've seen it both ways and would like to have the proper way on the board that i'm working on.

Thanks in advance

RER

Original post

Member for

20 years

It comes after, in a decending order based on the level of award. I might suggest you consult a reference, such as "The Standard Catalogue of British Orders, Decorations and Medals" by E.C. Joslin.

For Instance...Wing Commander Robert Standord Tuck, D.S.O., D.F.C. and two bars.

If only we had some people from the United Kingdon on this forum...alas

Member for

19 years 11 months

It comes after, in a decending order based on the level of award. I might suggest you consult a reference, such as "The Standard Catalogue of British Orders, Decorations and Medals" by E.C. Joslin.

For Instance...Wing Commander Robert Standord Tuck, D.S.O., D.F.C. and two bars.

If only we had some people from the United Kingdon on this forum...alas

Steve,

Thanks will look up the book. :D

RER

Member for

24 years 2 months

Spot on old chap !

Member for

20 years

Hi Steve

Unfortunately we are colonials and as such - as you have discovered - barely tolerated by our former Lords and Masters so they like to have us on the forum so as to keep track of what the menials in the colonies are up to in case they have to put down another rebelion.

Regards
John P

Member for

20 years 6 months

Is it not DSO and bar, DFC and bar...? - Nermal

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is it not DSO and bar, DFC and bar...? - Nermal

Not it would appear, according to my copy of 'Fly for your Life', Tuck's biography.

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

Robert Hampton Gray, VC DSC RCNVR

Please note the spelling of GRAY not GREY

Sub Lieutenant would be appropriate if he were still serving, which obviously he is not but I do not think you can apply the rank as RTD (Retired) under a lower rank.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi John,

Thanks does one list his full name all the stuff that I have show his name as follows Lt.R.H.Gray VC DSC RCNVR No.1841 Squadron KIA.

Thanks
RER

Member for

24 years 2 months

Robert Hampton Gray VC DSC

Take a look at the CWGC site under: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2558303

where it gives more details

In Memory of Lieutenant ROBERT HAMPTON GRAY VC, DSC

H.M.S. Formidable., Royal Canadian Navy Vol. Reserve
who died age 27 on 09 August 1945
Son of John Balfour Gray and Wilhelmina Gray, of Nelson, British Columbia.
Remembered with honour - HALIFAX MEMORIAL

The citation in the London Gazette of 16th January, 1946, gives the following particulars : For great valour in leading an attack on a Japanese destroyer in Onagawa Wan on 9th August, 1945. In the face of fire from shore batteries and a heavy concentration of fire from some five warships, Lieutenant Gray pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success. Although he was hit and his aircraft was in flames, he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. Lieutenant Gray constantly showed a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership. Hope this helps to ensure total accuracy.

By the way "who was the last person to be award the VC." presume you mean last RN or RCN as several have been awarded since 1945 to British and Commonwealth (including Gurkha) personnel - cheers - Allan

Member for

19 years 11 months

By the way "who was the last person to be award the VC." presume you mean last RN or RCN as several have been awarded since 1945 to British and Commonwealth (including Gurkha) personnel - cheers - Allan

Allan,

Correct I meant RCN. I had the chance to meet his wingman for that mission at NAS Brunswick during the 50th Anv. of NAS Brunswick open house.

Once again thanks guys for all the help.

Cheers
RER

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Crazymainer - lucky his wingman didn't get hit by the flak as well - our Government wants to celebrate/commemorate the end of WW2 in July (so they don't miss their holiday no doubt) when so much went on in the Burma/Pacific areas between May and August, including this award of the VC and those of of the crew of HMS XE3 - The crippling of Japanese cruiser Takao, on 31 July 1945 by HMS XE3 in Singapore Harbour. The commanding officer, Lieutenant IE Fraser, and the diver, Leading Seaman JJ Magennis, were both awarded the Victoria Cross for this action.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=history/secondwar/citations/gray

Lt. Robert Hampton Gray
Onagawa Wan, Japan
August 9th, 1945
Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Hampton Gray was born in Trail, British Columbia, on the 2nd of November 1917, the son of a Boer War veteran. He received his early education in a public school and high school in Nelson, B.C. and then spent a year at the University of Alberta in Edmonton followed by two years at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. In 1940 he was selected as one of seventy-five candidates for commissions in the Navy. He was one of thirteen who qualified as pilots in the Fleet Air Arm. In 1944 he was a lieutenant on H.M.S. 'Formidable'. For his brilliant work during the attack on the German battleship 'Tirpitz' in Alten Fjord he was Mentioned-in-Dispatches. In July 1945 he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for aiding in the destruction of a destroyer in the Tokyo area and on the 9th of August he won the Victoria Cross as recorded in the citation. Lieutenant Gray has no known grave as neither he nor his plane were ever found, but his name is inscribed on the Sailor's Memorial in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His Victoria Cross is on loan to the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.
Citation
'For great bravery in leading an attack to within fifty feet of a Japanese destroyer in the face of intense anti-aircraft fire, thereby sinking the destroyer although he was hit and his own aircraft on fire and finally himself killed. He was one of the gallant company of Naval Airmen who, from December 1944, fought and beat the Japanese from Palembang to Tokyo. The actual incident took place in the Onagawa Wan on the 9th of August 1945. Gray was leader of the attack which he pressed home in the face of fire from shore batteries and at least eight warships. With his aircraft in flames he nevertheless obtained at least one direct hit which sank its objective.

Lieut. R.H. Gray, D.S.C., R.C.N.V.R., of Nelson, B.C., flew off the Aircraft Carrier, H.M.S. "Formidable" on August 9th 1945, to lead an attack on Japanese shipping in Onagawa Wan (Bay) in the Island of Honshu, Mainland of Japan. At Onagawa Bay the fliers found below a number of Japanese ships and dived in to attack. Furious fire was opened on the aircraft from army batteries on the ground and from warships in the Bay. Lieut. Gray selected for his target an enemy destroyer. He swept in oblivious of the concentrated fire and made straight for his target. His aircraft was hit and hit again, but he kept on. As he came close to the destroyer his plane caught fire but he pressed to within fifty feet of the Japanese ship and let go his bombs. He scored at least one direct hit, possibly more. The destroyer sank almost immediately. Lieutenant Gray did not return. He had given his life at the very end of his fearless bombing run.'

This one has a small painting of the action
http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/pages/fleet_air_arm_history/vcs.htm#gray

Lieutenant Robert Hampton Gray, a Canadian who became one of the FAA's most popular and courageous pilots. On the 9th August 1945 he led his section of Corsairs in a shipping strike off the island of Honshu.

Gray's aircraft was set on fire, but he bombed his target before crashing into the water. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, the fourth and last naval airman to be so honoured.

http://www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca/tour/vcgallery.htm has the ships bell of HMS Formidable on show - about the only thing I haven't found now is the name of the Japanese Destroyer he sank. No doubt it is out there on the web!! :) cheers - Allan

Member for

20 years

Where?

Sorry...K I N G D O M

Why do they have to put the letters so close together on the keyboard??? :D

Steve

Member for

20 years

Robert Hampton Gray, VC DSC RCNVR

Please note the spelling of GRAY not GREY

Sub Lieutenant would be appropriate if he were still serving, which obviously he is not but I do not think you can apply the rank as RTD (Retired) under a lower rank.

Would it not be appropriate to list his rank as well, especially considering that he was KIA and not retired?