CWH Lanc.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Well Folks,

It finally official something that myself and alot of other have been saying.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3044

RER

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

Lanc no go

Oh dear, thats a shame.

Although i cant help seeing pic's of that Shackleton lying on the desert floor after a similar attempt... and wondering.

But having said that, i cant recall any incident where a warbird has been lost flying over the pond, all the B-17's and B-24's made it ok.

Member for

20 years

Hi

Kiwis drowned a Cat a few years back flying it from the US to NZ

John P

Member for

21 years

It finally official something that myself and alot of other have been saying

Without checking Rob, what I believe you were saying was that CWH would never let their aircraft cross the atlantic. What was in fact the case is that it would have happened if the necessary money had been raised. Two different things.

And I quote from a previous thread.

Lets just kill this now before it runs away again, when I talk to the Dept. Director of the CWH she told me flat out that the Lanc. wil not be going to England period.

That was clearly not the case. Do you agree?

Member for

20 years 8 months

It would have been nice, but I think we'd all have had hearts in mouths while she was on her way across the drink.

Anyone hear anything about a rumour that the Collings' B-24 might be coming?

Member for

20 years 10 months

Shame. It shows it really was a serious attempt by all concerned and it nearly paid off.

Perhaps they should keep the kitty open for the 65th Anniversary of operation Chastise/90th Anniversary of the RAF in 2008? I'm sure if there was enough coverage in the wider media sponsorship would be much easier to come by for such an historic year!

Member for

20 years

It's a pity a mega-rich company like Discovery or Sky didn't get behind this and make a documentary about it all. That would have paid the bills. Sorry to hear it is off, but I'm sure the Canadians will appreciate having their Lanc at home for their own celebrations.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Have to say I'm not the least bit surprised that it's not coming, though I was expecting the reason to be the distance, rather than money.

It seems to me that if either this or the B-24 rumours had any foundation we would have known about it much sooner than we did. Unless such an endeavour is going to be funded by a private benefactor then publicity and fund raising need to be going on years in advance. See the Merlins over Malta campaign for example.......

Member for

20 years 5 months

I must be thick because when I use the link on the WiX board I can't see anything that mentions the trip to England.
Help anyone?

Cheers
Andy

Member for

19 years 11 months

Without checking Rob, what I believe you were saying was that CWH would never let their aircraft cross the atlantic. What was in fact the case is that it would have happened if the necessary money had been raised. Two different things.

And I quote from a previous thread.

That was clearly not the case. Do you agree?

MOTF,

In all of my post on the CWH Lanc. I said that I had spoken with the Dept. Director and she told me straight out that the Lanc would not be come over. If you read between the lines of their post you will get what alot of us are being told since this letter came out, which is look folks yea it was brought up but it was never going to happen becasue we never take the Lanc anywhere in North America. By releasing the official press release they save face for them and BoB Flight. Lets face it folks they got alot of you UK folks all excited for nothing.

The first discussion of this should have been sort like this.The BoB Flight has approuch CWH about maybe bring over their Lanc. not was originally posted. When I and many other said that their would be Snowball Hell chance of the Lanc. going to England we where look appound as your full of it because we have been told it is going to happen.

RER

Member for

20 years 9 months

It seems to me that if either this or the B-24 rumours had any foundation we would have known about it much sooner than we did.

some people did know much sooner than you did.

some people did know much sooner than you did.

Of course I realise that. My point is still valid though so I'll repeat it......

Unless any such endeavour is going to privately funded it is going to need the support in terms of both publicity and funding of enthusiasts and communities such as this. This takes time to build. See Merlins over Malta for example.......

Member for

19 years 5 months

ACROSS THE POND

Would you settle for a 707?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Of course I realise that. My point is still valid though so I'll repeat it......

Unless any such endeavour is going to privately funded it is going to need the support in terms of both publicity and funding of enthusiasts and communities such as this. This takes time to build. See Merlins over Malta for example.......

Dave,

With all do respect it was reported by someone who(and correct me if I'm wrong here)is part of the BoB fligth that they where going to have two Lancs. for the bog fly over and that the CWH plane was going to be come.

It got reported in the Aviation Mags and has been the talk of the internet, not only here and wix but other historical aircraft site.

When I and a few others who know folks at CWH gave them a call to confirm this we where all told in no uncertain words that No the Lanc is'nt going to be going to England. As for the Collings Foundation B-24 I knew right away that this was a false story see I live here in Maine and Collings is out of Stow Mass. I happen to know most if not all f the Collings folks and when Ryan put out a Statement saying that the 24 isn't come over you guys in the UK seem not let it die.

Beleive me folks when and if there is another Bomber tour in the UK it will be announce in the Press with all the fain fair. All I can say is please try to give us Dumb Yanks some credit when we hear of something like the Lanc come over we are going to make inquiriers.

Member for

24 years 2 months

They said "This has been an ongoing project for the last several months.", so doesn't that PROVE that it was seriously being worked on, and wasn't dismissed out of hand like you said? Have you considered that they could have tried to keep it quiet????

Member for

21 years

CWH Lanc

Firstly it's a shame the Lanc isn't coming over this summer but having read some of the posts I would like to put the record straight on one or two points.

1. Yes, someone from BBMF did post, 'what would you think about 2 Lancs....', but never said they were actually coming.

2. CWH were in contact with BBMF about a possible trip over.

3. We were asked if we would be able to give engineering support should the visit go ahead.

4. I have been in contact with the Lanc pilot and engineer about this trip, and they were planning to come should the funds become available. This included planning the route/spares etc.

5. Now I know some people think they know more than they actually DO know, but the bottom line is, this trip was planned and has only been cancelled due to financial reasons.

6. BBMF has NOT misled anyone over the possibility of this trip taking place, perhaps our only mistake was letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, before it was a done deal!

Fluffy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Rob
Perhaps you should read your own link instead of telling us you were right all along.

From Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum website

This would have been a very serious undertaking on behalf of Canadian Warplane Heritage. I would like everyone to be aware that we do not take this type of venture lightly and would never have even considered this unless we felt that the aircraft was capable of flying that distance. All of our flying aircraft are maintained to the highest of standards. We have received both positive and negative comments with regards to this matter and I would like to say that they were all equally appreciated.

I would like to thank the people of England and specifically Sqdn. Ldr. Mike Buckland for putting forth so much effort to try and make it happen.

Lets see how many people think you were right now.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Fluffy,

Then explain to me when I spoke with the Dept. Director for CWH she flat out said in no certain words that the Lanc would and I repet would never leave North America, you might have been talking with the pilots and mechs. but I and other here in North America where talking with the folks who would give the final go and they where telling us that it wasn't going to happen.

And for the record sir I might seem to be some dumb Yank and you might think I don't know what is going on but I can tell you this when something like this breaks I have no problem picking up the phone a calling to say hey this is being report is this true.

You might think about give some of us Yanks a benifit of the doult ever once and awhile.

dhfan,

Like I stated in the last post read between the lines this was become a problem for the CWH because they where starting to get question on why they wouldn't bring the Lanc. to North American show that have come up with the Money while the internet/Avaition Mags where reporting that the Lanc was going to England. They need to save face end of story, look I would love to have seen the Lanc go over but I knew it would never happen been involved with a few Airshow here in North America and knowing the Leadership of CWH mindset this was a fairytell at best. What really needs to be address here is when and if not when why won't the CWH bring the Lanc. to select North American shows(please don't tell me about the engine and time on airframe crap)the money is their.

RER

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'll go and bash my head against a brick wall...

Member for

24 years 2 months

I must be thick because when I use the link on the WiX board I can't see anything that mentions the trip to England.
Help anyone?

Cheers
Andy

The pasted link merely takes you to another forum, you have to follow a link from there to HERE and then read the bit "To all concerned"

Moggy