Ball Turret at Duxford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

Does anyone have any information on this ball turret and what looks to be a top turret I saw at Duxford on Sunday? They were behind the swordfish in hangar 5. Are they from Sally B while she is under maintenance or are they being restored for a different project? Thanks.

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

I thought Sally B had replica fibreglass turrets.

Perhaps they've finally acquired the real thing ?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Turrets

These turrets were for the B-24 now in the american air museum.
The Ball turret was aquired but was decided not to fit it in the B-24 because, I believe, that late model B-24's had the turrets removed.
The top turret is a Martin 250ce (used in B-24, B-26, PV-2 some B-25's) and has been put together with the leftover bits from the turret fitten in 'Dugan'.
It is planned for the ball turret to go on display in the AAM, and the Martin to be put on loan to the Air gunners museum at Elvington.
________
red headed Cams

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thanks for that B-17Man. I look forward to seeing the ball turret on display.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Martin turret is also correct for a Lancaster (anyone at East Kirkby listening? ;))

Member for

19 years 4 months

Lancaster

The Martin turret is also correct for a Lancaster (anyone at East Kirkby listening? ;))

Canadian built Lancasters (as per Duxfords example)
________
Velvettouch

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well... late series B.Xs. The early ones had FN50s or FN150s.

British built Mk.VIIs had them too, although I'm not sure if NX661 had one originally - I seem to remember that the French Lancs only had the mountings for them, the turret was not fitted.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I thought Sally B had Fibreglass ones until Memphis Belle was filmed where she was refitted with working ones?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Sally B

Sally B still retains the fibre glass turrets, The old top turret dome was removed and an early style (F model) fitted for the filming.
A correct ball turret mount was fitted in Sally B but a fibre glass ball, a better copy was fitted. The ball turret can cause a lot of damage if a wheels up landing was needed, normally breaking the back of the plane.
These were normally jettisoned if the situation arose, not really practicle these days, there is probably a EU legislation somewhere about it.
The ball turret is able to move, by hand, and was fitted with working 50 cals for the film, but the top turret is fixed.
I have a video of a display routine taken from inside the ball turret at North Weald, I set the video camera up and let it run.
________
Washington medical marijuana dispensaries

Member for

19 years 3 months

The ball turret can cause a lot of damage if a wheels up landing was needed, normally breaking the back of the plane.
These were normally jettisoned if the situation arose, not really practicle these days, there is probably a EU legislation somewhere about it.

Probably something about not dropping several hundred kilos of metal and glass onto unsuspecting members of the public or their property...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Canadian built Lancasters (as per Duxfords example)

Don't forget the Mk VII Lanc's
Cees

Member for

21 years

Ball turret in a wheels up...

Did you see the damage to Aluminum Overcast where her gear collapsed after landing in Seattle last year?

Really messed her up...as the ball was pushed up into the aircraft.

Balls up, so the saying goes... :eek:

Member for

20 years 3 months

Probably something about not dropping several hundred kilos of metal and glass onto unsuspecting members of the public or their property...

Some people have no sense of humour.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Some people have no sense of humour.

Oh, I know. Luckily, I work in the museum sector and post here, so I get extra sense-of-humour rations issued at the beginning of each month.

Member for

19 years

Isn't that Duxfords new control tower for the non ATC people? Or is the mystery of where R2D2 finally got laid to rest now solved?????? :diablo:

Member for

19 years 4 months

Dropping

Or a certain mad woman that lives near Duxford
________
Marijuana Seeds