Need a Hurricane paint scheme!!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Got a model here I'm getting set to paint, it's a 1/48 scale Hurricane IIC with the 4 cannons, came in a box marked SEAC but I'm not sure I want to paint it that way, so I'm looking for some ideas and some PHOTOS of similar Hurricanes, if you all have any...let me see some paint schemes....is the BBMF Hurricane still painted up in SEAC markings? Might look at that scheme too, or possible some shots of PZ865 if anyone has any?

Mark

Original post

Member for

19 years 3 months

Got a model here I'm getting set to paint, it's a 1/48 scale Hurricane IIC with the 4 cannons, came in a box marked SEAC but I'm not sure I want to paint it that way, so I'm looking for some ideas and some PHOTOS of similar Hurricanes, if you all have any...let me see some paint schemes....is the BBMF Hurricane still painted up in SEAC markings? Might look at that scheme too, or possible some shots of PZ865 if anyone has any?

Mark

PZ865 in her racing colours would be nice (see other thread!)

Member for

20 years 5 months

Eh....interesting but not what I'm looking for....want something 'typically British' from the war period, something a Mk IIc would appear in....just your 'average warbird', as it were...

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

Mark, how about...

http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/hurri.jpg

or...

http://www.rlm.at/galerie/08/hurricane_1699.jpg

or...

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/gb/shambahurricaned.jpg

or...

http://math.fce.vutbr.cz/safarik/ACES/horice/obr/hurricaneII.jpg

Member for

20 years 5 months

Nice, Daz, thanks....forgot about the black one....

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/gb/shambahurricaned.jpg

Building this one at the moment. Academy do lovely 1/72nd scale kits. Cheap as chips as well.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Dan-
You mention Academy...what would their full name be, possibly Academy/Minicraft? Might try one of their kits my next purchase, if they go together well....tired of spending money on bad fitting kits....so far have stuck with Hasegawa and Tamiya and been fairly happy...

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

From my experience Academy/Minicraft kits are right up there in the Hasegawa/Tamiya ballpark. Lovely precision-moulded kits, and the decals are spot-on too. In my opinion Academy kits are Hasegawa quality for Airfix money.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Alright, will give them a try when I'm looking for my next plane, which will be soon and will probably be a P-40, since I need one...Thanks for the reccomendation...

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

A good place to get Academy kits is the shop at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton. I'm sure they'd be glad of the money too. :)

Member for

20 years 5 months

MIGHT just be a tad of a problem buying my kits there as I live in Greeley, CO USA, but I will be sure to pop on by that shop next time I'm in England....however, for now, I think I can find some at Don's Hobbies in downtown Greeley...

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

Haven't built a Hurricane in ages, but have since kinda gone off the small-scale stuff. Mine are nothing like the quality of some others on the forum!!

My next project is an Academy Spitfire XIV (bubble-top).

Predictably, here are a few of my Spits...:rolleyes:

Attachments

Member for

19 years 1 month

Hey Mark if you want a P-40, you might want to check out the new Hasegawa E model. Go to www.hyperscale.com and you can find a review of it and a nice picture of it all built up. It looks to be the best E model available so far. If you want a B model, look for the new Trumpeter kit. There should also be a review of it on Hyperscale. As for a N, try finding the Mauve/Eduard kit or the AMT/Ertl kit. I don't remember if there are any XP-40Qs out in 1/48 scale.

Oh yeah, all of the above are 1/48 scale. Also, Hyperscale is an excellent site for not only reviews/previews of new and old kits, but you can also send in photos of your models and Brett will post them. It is the best modeling site that I have found.

Ryan

Member for

20 years 5 months

Ryan-

A guy at the hobby shop last week was showing me the P-40E kit you are talking about, photo etched parts and such, for a reasonable $27....might do that one...but always looking for a good kit for less, so might try the Academy kit if I can find it in 1/48 and see how it goes....it all just depends on finances, trying to save for airshow season, too.....just bought a wheelbarrow inner tube to use as my airbrush air supply, got it filled....now just need a converter for the hose to make it fit my airbrush! Always, something, right? Someone told me to just buy a tire and go fill it when you need air....a great, cheap alternative to all those expensive compressors (until I can afford one) and only cost $8...

Mark

Member for

19 years 1 month

I looked around on the net and found that the Academy P-40 is indeed 1/48 scale but it is a reproduction of the Hobbycraft P-40B. Typically, that kit isn't regarded as one of the best or most accurate. I've read that there are also some fit issues with it.

The three I listed are definately considered the best available for each variant of P-40. In fact, I might run out right now and pick me up the Hasegawa E model.

Also if you can find it, the Arii/Otaki P-40E isn't all that bad and will be really cheap. It is an old kit but it isn't that bad. Probably the biggest gripe about it, is that the leading edge of the wings have a rearward sweep to them but otherwise, the kit isn't that bad.

The new Hasegawa is still the most accurate and your best bet for a fall together kit.