Meteor prang Linton on ouse.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

I wonder if any of you aircraft buffs can throw any light on a Meteor F8 crash in August 1952 at Linton on Ouse, the pilot was Sqdn/ldr Jack Jagger of 92 squadron. I am interested because he was my flight cmdr when I served with 80 squadron. He was a great guy and a brilliant pilot,he once, when doing a loop in a spitfire had a nut from the cockpit floor lock the control column and was forced to land the aircraft using just the trimming tabs. That is only one of the stories I could tell you of him. Are there any ex 80 sqdn bods out there who remembers Jack?

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Oh gawd can you change the title to put a date in please. I just laid an egg!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I wonder if any of you aircraft buffs can throw any light on a Meteor F8 crash in August 1952 at Linton on Ouse, the pilot was Sqdn/ldr Jack Jagger of 92 squadron. I am interested because he was my flight cmdr when I served with 80 squadron. He was a great guy and a brilliant pilot,he once, when doing a loop in a spitfire had a nut from the cockpit floor lock the control column and was forced to land the aircraft using just the trimming tabs. That is only one of the stories I could tell you of him. Are there any ex 80 sqdn bods out there who remembers Jack?

Last Take Off by Colin Cummings shows this as happening on 14 August 1952 and involving Meteor F8, WK657. It places the accident as near RAF Coningsby and says that the pilot was practicing aerobatics culminating in a bunt to the inverted straight and level. He rolled out of the bunt before it was complete and began to lose height before striking the ground, killing some cattle and then disintegrating against a river bank.

Regards,

Laurie.