Shoreham aerojumble & cockpits

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Any one know which aircraft cockpits will be attending Shoreham Aerojumble next week? I believe that this is a new thing for this years aerojumble, hope its sucessful! Would also be nice to see an increase in traders this year, seems to have been slowly declining in recent years but none the less still very much worth attending.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any one know which aircraft cockpits will be attending Shoreham Aerojumble next week?
That's an easy one to answer - none!
Unfortunately there was limited interest from cockpit owners so the organisers of the aerojumble lost interest and just stopped speaking to us. There were two cockpit owners who said they would attend, but when the organisers went quiet they, quite rightly, said forget it then.
I don't know what he was expecting - hundreds of cockpits converging on Shoreham from all over the globe presumably. :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 3 months

That's an easy one to answer - none!
Unfortunately there was limited interest from cockpit owners so the organisers of the aerojumble lost interest and just stopped speaking to us. There were two cockpit owners who said they would attend, but when the organisers went quiet they, quite rightly, said forget it then.
I don't know what he was expecting - hundreds of cockpits converging on Shoreham from all over the globe presumably. :rolleyes:

It was a noble effort and I am pleased Andy invited people to attend and offered some money towards costs. Cockpits are expensive to transport. I often get asked to take cockpits to shows. To attend Newark CockpitFest costs about £250 all in (van hire + fuel) but for me is worth every penny as there are so many great people to meet. Unfortunately I cannot attend as many as I would like.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Last year someone turned up at our museum looking for the Aerojumble!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was a noble effort and I am pleased Andy invited people to attend and offered some money towards costs. Cockpits are expensive to transport. I often get asked to take cockpits to shows. To attend Newark CockpitFest costs about £250 all in (van hire + fuel) but for me is worth every penny as there are so many great people to meet. Unfortunately I cannot attend as many as I would like.
Transporting a cockpit is no trivial undertaking and I fully understand the reasons for the limited response received from cockpit owners - in fact I warned Andy when he first suggested the idea that we would struggle with numbers, primarily, because of the travelling distance involved. I have no complaints at all against the cockpit owners, quite the reverse in fact.

The fact is that the idea was suggested purely as a device to promote Shoreham aerojumble and not to promote the cockpit preservation movement. The shame is that it seems the plan was dropped like a hot potato when it became clear that there weren't going to be huge numbers of cockpits in attendance. There were two cockpit owners who were keen and willing to support the plan and display cockpits. In the end they, and those of us who who put effort into trying to organise attendees, didn't even get a reply of e-mail or return of phone-call.

I, like you, find CockpitFest immensely enjoyable and so that, for me, will be the one and only.

Member for

19 years 3 months

MarkG are you taking your Hunter this year old fruit? I am undecided whether I will take the F1 (which has not been before but is complete but 'tatty') or the F6. The Museum will be taking its Jaguar complete with working (extending/retracting) AAR probe and cockpit lighting.

Member for

24 years 3 months

MarkG are you taking your Hunter this year old fruit? I am undecided whether I will take the F1 (which has not been before but is complete but 'tatty') or the F6. The Museum will be taking its Jaguar complete with working (extending/retracting) AAR probe and cockpit lighting.
I'm desperately trying to get it into a transportable condition with the aim of taking it this year. Unfortunately, I've still not joined it back together where it was cut down the middle. I am hoping to do that in the next few weeks though. I'm then planning to mount it on a LOX trolley - should then be a simple case of hiring a trailer to move it. I guess there's still a good 1-2 years restoration work to be done so ain't going to be pretty, but will make a nice contrast against the restored examples on display.

I reckon this years event is going to be a real cracker and I can hardly wait! :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

I'm desperately trying to get it into a transportable condition with the aim of taking it this year. Unfortunately, I've still not joined it back together where it was cut down the middle. I am hoping to do that in the next few weeks though. I'm then planning to mount it on a LOX trolley - should then be a simple case of hiring a trailer to move it. I guess there's still a good 1-2 years restoration work to be done so ain't going to be pretty, but will make a nice contrast against the restored examples on display.

I reckon this years event is going to be a real cracker and I can hardly wait! :)

Me too....hope you can make it with the Hunter as the more the merrier!!

Member for

20 years 4 months

cockpit fest

Is there a published attendance list yet?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not yet I'm afraid. I normally get updates from the organisers at Newark to add to the website, but Bill hasn't got access to e-mail at the moment so I'm not sure how well that's going to work this time.

I do know that Mick Jennings is planning on taking a number of the cockpits from the Coltishall collection this year which should be an amazing sight and you can always rely on people like Tony Dyer, Tony Collins, Stuart Gowans, AeroVenture, Frand Lund, Karl Edmondson etc., etc. to put on a fine show.

Are you planning on taking the Hornet?

(I know, I know, I owe you an e-mail :) )

Member for

20 years 4 months

Hornet F.1

Mark

I will be taking the Hornet F.1 to cockpit fest. It will be a "work in progress" though. But I'm sure that people will appreciate seeing the exposed detail along the way, before everything gets covered over and hidden.

Member for

24 years 3 months

decline ?

Hi
Although not a trader , for me it's to far , travelling the south coast road from devon to arrive in a reasonable time.
Lack of punters will lead to lack of traders, maybe a two location aerojumble might be more succesful, maybe a move to a different more central location may help ? Somewhere around the bristol area would be accessable to many more , and has great roads around it, easy access for south west, wales , north M5, M4 corridor etc, isn't there an airfiled just north of bristol, nr gloucester ?
cheers
Jerry

Member for

19 years 3 months

Is there a published attendance list yet?

There should be a veritable bunch of Hunters!!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hi
Although not a trader , for me it's to far , travelling the south coast road from devon to arrive in a reasonable time.
Lack of punters will lead to lack of traders, maybe a two location aerojumble might be more succesful, maybe a move to a different more central location may help ? Somewhere around the bristol area would be accessable to many more , and has great roads around it, easy access for south west, wales , north M5, M4 corridor etc, isn't there an airfiled just north of bristol, nr gloucester ?
cheers
Jerry

Jerry,

I ~may~ consider taking a cockpit, and as i'll be also travelling from Devon, perhaps we could pool resources on this ? And there may yet be a third person/cockpit travelling up too ?

Cheers.......

Member for

20 years 1 month

We may bring our Vamp but we are Cockpitfest virgins and i doubt she'll be up to the standards on show!

Member for

24 years 3 months

We may bring our Vamp but we are Cockpitfest virgins and i doubt she'll be up to the standards on show!
TEXANTOMCAT, the condition doesn't matter a jot. To be honest we could do with a few more attending that are "work in progress" or "not quite finished" in order to give visitors a feel for the huge amount of restoration work that goes on behind the scenes. I've always felt that just displaying lovely, shiny, restored cockpits doesn't do justice to the efforts people put into them. My Hunter is in a hideous state of disrepair so if I do manage to get it there it will scare the life out of small children I can assure you!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Groovy- can we park next to you then Mark!:)

Member for

20 years 1 month

here she is!

Member for

20 years 2 months

here she is!

Didn't Stuart win an award for that (ex-Welshpool) one last Cockpitfest ?

Member for

19 years 10 months

When is the cockpitfest this year? Also is any aerojumble or flypast organised as it was last year?