Note for JonathanF - Want a radar?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Jonathan - I was wondering, with the run-down of RAF Neatishead the Air Defence museum’s future must be in question - I don't suppose the IWM would care for a historic radar station, one previous user, genuine 1941 Happydrome (slightly used, still smells of chinagraph), several slightly rusty radars, a Bloodhound and piles of vacuum tubes? Also willing to throw-in one RAF F-4 Phantom II (High mileage)

Seriously though, has anyone approached the IWM with a view to saving something if the worst comes to pass?

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

This is open to everyone - would you consider saving a bit of the radar chain is as important as a Star fort or a Martello tower? Arguably Radar was used in anger were as the others turned out to be follies...........

Member for

19 years 4 months

Jonathan - I was wondering, with the run-down of RAF Neatishead the Air Defence museum’s future must be in question - I don't suppose the IWM would care for a historic radar station, one previous user, genuine 1941 Happydrome (slightly used, still smells of chinagraph), several slightly rusty radars, a Bloodhound and piles of vacuum tubes? Also willing to throw-in one RAF F-4 Phantom II (High mileage)

Seriously though, has anyone approached the IWM with a view to saving something if the worst comes to pass?

Maple01 - sorry, only just spotted this! Drop me a PM next time. You have one now in fact... ;)

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi Jonathan,

The headman is a guy called Dougy Robb, ex WO. He's fighting a rear-guard action to keep the place going but chances are if it becomes untenable he’d be the one to talk to – he scrounged a lot of the stuff there himself. Another chap that’s been involved is Rab Bullers who just about pre-dates radar himself!

http://www.neatishead.raf.mod.uk/ is an old web-page that hasn’t been updated in a while but gives a few photos and contact number

http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ is another to try (Mr Robb is the chap in the white short-sleeve shirt)

Not trying to cut the ground out from under Mr Robb's feet, I’d just like to think there was a back-up plan IF it had to close - And I want Kent's 259 to survive! (Radar from the Falklands)

Oh, your mail box is full!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi Jonathan,

The headman is a guy called Dougy Robb, ex WO. He's fighting a rear-guard action to keep the place going but chances are if it becomes untenable he’d be the one to talk to – he scrounged a lot of the stuff there himself. Another chap that’s been involved is Rab Bullers who just about pre-dates radar himself!

That should be Roy Bullers.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hi Jonathan,

http://www.neatishead.raf.mod.uk/ is an old web-page that hasn’t been updated in a while but gives a few photos and contact number

http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ is another to try (Mr Robb is the chap in the white short-sleeve shirt)

Not trying to cut the ground out from under Mr Robb's feet, I’d just like to think there was a back-up plan IF it had to close - And I want Kent's 259 to survive! (Radar from the Falklands)

Oh, your mail box is full!

Yes, sorry about that. Thanks for the information though. My ear is to the ground!

Member for

19 years 11 months

That should be Roy Bullers

We called him Rab when he was my Sqn Ldr! Can't remember why for the life of me!

Member for

20 years 8 months

We called him Rab when he was my Sqn Ldr! Can't remember why for the life of me!

OK - I've just never heard him called that. I wonder if his middle name begins with A and RAB is his initials?