RCAF Dak KG455

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does anyone know much about this RCAF Dak KG455 12924..She has been located at CFB Petawawa Ontario for a few years now, just outside their Military Museum. The camo paint is starting to fade abit and the RCAF Red colours are starting to be visible on the wing tips..

I also noticed that she appears to have two astrodome locations on top of the fuselage...has anyone seen that used before on the Daks.

Also what is the device that appears to draw in fresh air into the exhaust pipes..I have seen it on other radials but not sure about it's use..

Does anyone have any history on this particular airframe? WWII and post war...

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

There are a few Daks with two Astrodomes - I assume that it's a Nav training or observation thing.

The pipe on the exhaust feeds fresh air into the heat exchanger around the exhaust to provide heating in the cabin - opinions vary on it's effectiveness!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice pics British Canuck thanks for posting! I had no idea that Petawawa had a DC3 on display. Was she one of the last flyers in RCAF service? I wonder if she could be brought back to running condition?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Peter,

I think this Dak might be part of those phased out in 1989..but like I mentioned above I don't not much about her as I didn't get a chance to talk the staff at the museum to get details about this aircraft...

The engine props are locked in place with braces and the undercarriage is supported off the ground but I think she needs some TLC...I am not sure how she arrived at her current location..whether she was taken apart or ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Do you have any other pics of her? From the cockpit view looks like someone broke the top antenna off.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes a few pieces have go missing from this Dak as she is in a pretty open area on the base...

I have more pictures..I will post a few more later this afternoon

Member for

24 years 2 months

I went to their website and apparently they are going to upgrade the museum etc. I wonder if the "Dak" will recieve some TLC at that time? I do wish that if she is mostly complete, that they set up a program to look after her including inhibiting her engines

Member for

24 years 2 months

Peter,

One thing I find a little confusing is the fact that KG455 was assigned to two DC-3s.

cn 12480 C-47A-10-DK 42-92655 KG445 [INDIA]

cn 12490 C-47A-10-DK 42-92664 KG455 Renumber 12924 for RCAF in 1970

Any ideas?

Member for

24 years 2 months

More pictures of the DAK..some were taken last summer and some last w/e..

Member for

20 years 9 months

Peter,

One thing I find a little confusing is the fact that KG455 was assigned to two DC-3s.

cn 12480 C-47A-10-DK 42-92655 KG445 [INDIA]

cn 12490 C-47A-10-DK 42-92664 KG455 Renumber 12924 for RCAF in 1970

Any ideas?

Did you type a wrong digit in there at some point, or are you serious?;)

Flood

Member for

20 years 8 months

Did you type a wrong digit in there at some point, or are you serious?;)

Flood

Hi Flood :D Anna off topic just on the Super Highway Hows You???? Anna ;) :D :D :diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

I get a Goggle search and It lead me to a large site for serial numbers...and that's what came up.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Sorry - what I meant was cn 12480 C-47A-10-DK 42-92655 KG445 looks fine, as does cn 12490 C-47A-10-DK 42-92664 KG455 Renumber 12924 for RCAF in 1970.
The c/ns are 10 apart, the RAF serials are 10 apart, and even the USAAF serials are fairly close...;)

Flood

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ah now I understand...I see your point...I guess my brain is getting mushy in my old age,,,

I think I need a bigger monitor :)

Member for

20 years 9 months

It happens to all of us at some point, but I have to ask: just how big a monitor would help?;):D:D

Flood

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sorry to drop this in the middle of your thread but I could not find any where more appropriate.

Can any body identify this location and what happend to the aircraft ? the serial Numbers are Kn291 and KP221.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

All I can tell you - thanks to Air Britains RAF Aircraft KA100-KZ999 - is that they both went to Canada in 1946. Obviously your original is of better quality than what we can see here, if you can see serials; I think it says Royal Canadian Air Force along the fuselarge sides!;)

Flood

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thank you Flood. Unfortunately the original is not much better quality. It does say Royal Canadian Air Force on the aircraft. Luckily the serials are written on the back, but no date or location. Any guesses at the aircraft in the background.

Member for

19 years 1 month

1. the fresh air tube around the exhaust brings in the warm air and I caan tell you it works very nicely.
2. the circles on top the fuselage are covered over astrodomes, post WWII mode to teach navigators.
Goony birds ROCK !
:)

Member for

20 years

benyboy
It could be an early Gatwick... Was easier to get around and view by all accounts...
My dad has one or two photos from there including a Canadian C-130 IIRC.
Types could well be a VC-10 and some Britannias...
OAW

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks Spookyboss - the twin astrodome mod has had us guessing. I assume that it's only possible on birds that haven't had the bulkhead moved and the extra row of seats and window added?

Ref the heater - should that be WHEN it works, it works very nicely? :) It's just that one of the pilots doing a conversion course a few weeks ago here suffered a non functioning heater and was complaining bitterly.. Luckily not our aeroplane!

JC