Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

'Sally B' flypast canx... :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4513817.stm

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

:mad: F *ING DISGUSTING, they were pleased enough to see them in WW2.I can only hope that this creates such an outcry that exceptions would be made to these aircraft :(
Maybe the Lancaster should boycott the memorials as well to highlight this problem,can you imagine the outcry from the public and the anti european press.
If we are not careful this could be the thin edge of the wedge ,the "lets ground the old aircraft" brigade will be celebrating. :(

Member for

24 years 2 months

Tactically, perfect timing to get the message across to maximum effect.

Mark

Member for

20 years 11 months

I think you're making the mistake of thinking that the politicians are:
a) listening
b) interested
c) actually going to do anything (particularly once they're re-elected).

At the risk of being overly pessimistic, I think we're on a downhill slope with this issue and that future displays will be single engined aircraft only.

Member for

18 years 11 months

a) listening
b) interested

At the risk of being overly pessimistic, I think we're on a downhill slope with this issue and that future displays will be single engined aircraft only.

They will listen if enough people write!

My car club (American Auto Club UK), the members and many others got the government to exempt 'proper' American cars from the current number plate legislation.

Not quite in the same league as SB's insurance problems, but they can be made to listen and change the law.

Member for

24 years 2 months

a) listening
b) interested

Andrew,

I was actually thinking of getting the message across to the 'general public' - for starters.

It will then need professional and coordinated lobbying.

Where there is a will there is a way...and all that.

Mark

Member for

20 years 1 month

Good point, there are also other events coming up this year, quoting from the events list on the Sally B website:

10 Sun
Duxford
Flypast Over London & Buckingham Palace

at which Sally B's presence (or conversely, and I hope it doesnt happen, absence) would 'spread the word' to the general public, mass media and hopefully, the powers that be.

Member for

20 years

Make the most of this year's European air shows, folks, there will never be any more of this ilk! Looks like I will have to make a USA trip every year in the future!

Member for

19 years 4 months

I know this is European legislation, but haven't the CAA jumped on the bandwagon as well?
Just reaffirms my opinion that you are no longer allowed to enjoy yourself in this country - that is unless somebody makes a large wedge of money in the process !
Why don't they just rename 'GB' as 'GP' (gross profit) ?????

I'm just glad I'm in a position at the moment to enjoy as many shows as I can, as Papa Lima says 'there will never be any more of this ilk.'

Sad
Very sad

Member for

24 years 2 months

How about that American who is supporting the memory of RJ Mitchell? Perhaps an approcah to him?

Member for

24 years 2 months

SallyB

According to a press release today unfortunatly SallyB will be grounded until the insurance problem can be sorted out - so no flying at the weekend at DX unless something changes in the meantime. Fingers crossed everyone.

PRESS RELEASE:

Sally B grounded by European Regulations

On the eve of the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the end of World War Two, new European regulations have grounded the UK’s
much-loved Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, Sally B

This is because of crippling new EU third party liability insurance requirements, based on aircraft weight, which have placed Sally B in the same insurance category as a commercial airliner. This means an increase in liability insurance of almost five hundred per cent. That’s a staggering one thousand pounds extra per flying hour, on top of the already incredibly high running costs. But unlike a 737, Sally B operates for only twenty hours a year, is on a permit to fly, and can neither fly commercially, carry passengers, fly for hire and reward or fly over built-up areas.

Elly Sallingboe, head of the aircraft’s operating company, said ‘In this anniversary of the end of World War Two, Europe has managed to ground the last B-17 in the UK. This is a bitter setback to the B-17 Team and Members, who have put in over a quarter of a century of relentless hard work and dedication to keep Sally B in the air. It seems the Government is powerless to grant an exemption to this new regulation, which is destroying historic aviation in the UK. It is particularly upsetting when you think that Sally B flies as a memorial to over 70,000 Allied airmen who lost their lives in the skies over Europe. The aircraft is ready to fly, and we will do everything humanly possible to find a solution.’

So what are we doing about it?

We have begun a national media campaign to spread awareness on the aircraft’s plight, raise the additional funds and continue our fight for an exemption. We are positive that a short-term solution will be found so that Sally B can continue flying this season, starting with the Memorial Day Flypast over the American Military Cemetery at Madingley on 30 May – undoubtedly her most important and poignant event of the year, paying tribute to all those young men who sacrificed their lives for our freedom, especially as we mark the 60th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

Everything depends on the public’s reaction to our campaign and their generosity in making donations to The B-17 Charitable Trust. But if no permanent solution is found, this will be Sally B’s last season flying in this country.

How you can help

• Lobby your MP to get this unjust law changed – their details can be found at www.theyworkforyou.com/mp

• Make a donation to The B-17 Charitable Trust (Registered Charity No 1079007). Ask one of our Team Members for details, or visit the Sally B website www.sallyb.org.uk

• Buy a souvenir from the Sally B stall or via the Sally B website
out

Member for

18 years 11 months

and!

Also vote UKIP tommorow and stop this euro madness! :mad:

I'm not a member of UKIP or the like but everyday something comes up to increase my opinion that being in europe is a pain in the ass.

I can't understand why the B-17 can be classed as equal to, an income generating passenger carrying 737!!

I dare not break wind anymore in case someone in brussels takes offence(no offence to any Brusselians out there :) )

Rant over!!.....I'm going to pour another rum :o

Bostin

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, since I don't have an MP at the moment, I'm going to write to Mr Darling expressing my views on this madness.

Not that it will make a blind bit of difference. :(

I get totally Pissed Off with the European Union and all their barmy rules, regulations and other crap inflicted apon us. :mad:

If only people had listened all those years ago to those that said this kind of thing would happen... :rolleyes:

While I'm at it, I think I'll write to UKIP as well.

Cheers

Paul

Member for

19 years 9 months

there is no way on this planet that Sally B is the same as a 737 this is a real cronk of sh!t. Sally B is a testament to the 8th airforce it sickens me to see this the ungreatful B.A.S.T.A.R.D.S which do not appriciate the sacrafices made by many to create the world we exsist in to day.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Well, since I don't have an MP at the moment, I'm going to write to Mr Darling expressing my views on this madness.

Not that it will make a blind bit of difference. :(

Paul

Maybe we should all take a leaf out of Tim Robbin's character from The Shawshank Redemption. A letter or two per week asking your MP how he's progressing with his enquiries...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yep might have too Charlie!

I forgot to ask, what's happening with 'Pink Lady'?

After all, the same rules must affect this B17 also.

Have her operators made any protest about these charges? :confused:

Cheers

Paul

Member for

21 years

aj There is a very big difference between Insurance Classification and CAA Certification.

A vote for UKIP will help to guarantee our further integration into Europe, it will take away the Tory Vote and let in Labour or the Liberals. Both of whom would sell our soul in an instant. Not that it would be a bad thing overall.

Member for

21 years

That's pissed me right off, the EU have bloody billions of pounds worth of funds, loads of power and instead of doing useful positive things they do **** like this.

UKIP I know you wont win but I wish you would.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I dare not break wind anymore in case someone in Brussels takes offence.Bostin

A bit of advice.

Stay off the sprouts.

Mark

Member for

20 years 5 months

and let in Labour or the Liberals. Both of whom would sell our soul in an instant. Not that it would be a bad thing overall.

What having your soul sold?
I sold mine years ago (and thoroughly enjoyed the experience).
However, on a serious note, I wouldn't like see Sally B grounded permanently over this. I tend to think this issue will be resolved in the end to the satisfaction of all.
Fingers crossed.
Andy.

Member for

19 years 10 months

A bit of advice.

Stay off the sprouts.

Mark

Do you mean 'Brussel Sprouts'??