Valiant being dismantled / scrapped - photo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Don't panic - not the Hendon example! I thought you may be interested in the attached photo I took at Abingdon of XD816's last moments. The nose was saved and can be found at Brooklands now - but the remainder wasn't so lucky. I well recall those days when Gaydon was my local RAF field and was brimming with Valiants.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Very interesting pic Consul - do you know the date and location? I reckon it should be RAF Henlow perhaps c1969......or was it Abingdon soon after the 1968 RAF 50th anniversary? One point to mention is that at least one dismembered wing off the same aircraft was still extant outdoors at Henlow just before the cockpit section of XD816 was moved to Brooklands in 1988. I'm sure it was scrapped not long afterwards however.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Consul said that it was at Abingdon, Charlielima5 (I missed it first time too!) Eric Morgan's book on the Valiant says that XD816 was loaned for display at Abingdon in 1968, and struck off charge in August 1970, with the parts going to Hendon.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Interesting - I'll have to check my own records on this aircraft when time permits. If it was cut up at Abingdon, I wonder why one wing was moved to Henlow? I recall it being quite a large item too - ie not easy to transport.

Member for

19 years 7 months

It was certainly present at the Abingdon review in 1968 (I photographed then too) but the photo of it being dismantled I took a few years later - I would have to dig out the data of exact date - will do in due course - 1970 I think. I have a shot taken at the same time of an active Andover parked nearby. I can assure you it wasn't Henlow.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was cut up at Abingdon, I saw it happen.