Spitfire at Great Easton?

Member for

14 years 11 months

While Duxford was in full swing yesterday afternoon my mate phoned me from Great Easton near Dunmow, home of Taylors Rolls Royce garage. Apparently they were having a bit of a party yesterday, and while he was taking his dog for a walk, was subjected to what he described as some awesome low level aerobatics by a spitfire, though he admitted he couldn't tell the difference between that and a hurricane, but I could hear the sound of a merlin over the phone, even though this is near the end of Stansted runway.This was followed by what I think was a Pitts special, yellow Extra and a JET powered microlight. Does anyone know anything about this?
Original post
Profile picture for user jeepman

Member for

15 years 6 months

I think it's P & A Wood Ltd at Great easton nr Dunmow - well known Merlin restorers and IIRC the Sopwith Dove repro at Shuttleworth is also owned by them.

Member for

16 years 7 months

There is no Sopwith Dove repro at Shuttleworth.
Profile picture for user DGH

Member for

15 years 8 months

At one time the Woods had Spitfire TD248 in there Showroom!
Profile picture for user Yak 11 Fan

Member for

19 years 9 months

AR614 was there for a time as well.
Profile picture for user The Blue Max

Member for

14 years 6 months

There is no Sopwith Dove repro at Shuttleworth.
There cerainly use to be!

Member for

16 years 1 month

The occasion at Great Easton was a unique 'one-off' event to mark the 50th anniversary of the Rolls-Royce Slver Cloud and the Bentley S Type motor cars. A large number of guests (many being R-R or Bentley owners and therefore customers of P&A Wood) were specially invited to attend and my wife and I were lucky enough to be included. Among the attractions specially laid on were ground-running demos by a R-R Merlin 35 (owned by David Corbett) and an 80hp Le Rhone rotary (owned by Andrew Wood) plus Brooklands Museum's Napier-Railton's Napier Lion aero engine. This was followed by an impressive air display featuring Charlie Brown flying a Spitfire Vb from Duxford, Stewart Luck flying Andrew Wood's ex-Bentley Motors DH60G Gipsy Moth G-ABAG, Dennis Neville doing aerobatics in his own Chipmunk, Denny Dobson with his yellow Extra 300 and last but not least the incredible Microjet 'Jetbug'! The latter is actually a gas turbine-powered hang glider (not a microlight) and has to be seen and heard to be believed. See http://www.microjeteng.com/ and look at the 'jetbug' links for more. The Sopwith Dove is definitely owned by Andrew Wood but is not currently airworthy (I'm not sure where it is kept) - he does have a business to run too! Altogether this was a really excellent day and I must congratulate Paul and Andrew Wood and their staff for all their hard work in organising it.
Profile picture for user Chipmunk Carol

Member for

16 years 2 months

At one time the Woods had Spitfire TD248 in there Showroom!
Can't do TD248. Will AR614 do?
Attachment Size
Spitfire Rolls Royce showroom.jpg 5.01 KB
Profile picture for user DGH

Member for

15 years 8 months

Nice piccie Janie. My work used to take me into there premises on a regular basis years ago when TD248 was there. Not long after they acquired a Hunter. I've always hoped that would appear in there showroom one day but unless I've just missed it it never has.
Profile picture for user gdenney

Member for

19 years 9 months

Sopwith Dove
I think it's P & A Wood Ltd at Great easton nr Dunmow - well known Merlin restorers and IIRC the Sopwith Dove repro at Shuttleworth is also owned by them.
Do you mean this Sopwith Dove? http://www.vintagefabrics.co.uk/images/dove_02.jpg Glenn