spitfire vb

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

I don't mind if it's purple, Daz, just bear in mind the *stick* (hem hem) you'll get from the others if it's wrong... :D

Member for

20 years 4 months

I was going to paint it flourescent orange just to annoy you! ;)

Just to annoy you:
Why should anybody care about the colour if it is not a real Spitfire?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Just to annoy you:
Why should anybody care about the colour if it is not a real Spitfire?

I would :p

Member for

19 years 3 months

A short list of books that might prove useful:

The Royal Air Force of World War Two in Colour, by Roger Freeman (Arms and Armour 1993)
It has numerous photos of Spitfires with engine cowls removed, though mainly Mk VIII and IX’s, in Europe and the Middle East; also gun bay mounts of Typhoons (can it be assumed that Spitfire would be of similar internal colours?).

Camera at Sea 1939-1945, (Bay Books, Sydney 1978)
Several colour shots of RN-FAA Hellcats and Barracudas and a close up of a Seafire (good details of undercarriage).

Unsung Heroines, by Vera Lynn (Sidgwick & Jackson, London 1990)
Colour photo of RN Hurricane being re-armed by Wrens. Aircraft viewed from the rear, good details of internal machine gun bay colours.

Send us a message with a e-m address if you want a scan of some of these. I'll post one or two on this thread in a few days time if anyone else is interested.

...geoff

Member for

20 years 4 months

Yes, to get back on topic:
Both IWM and RAF Museum Hendon archives have a nice selection of WW2 colour photographs. Some of these have been published ebfore, some have not. I do recall a sequence of 222 Sqn Mk V photos (some of these are at Hendon, some at the IWM).
I seem to recall that Mark12 had some stills from WW2 era colour film footage of Spitfire VIIIs and IXs. I am quite sure some of these were in pretty dismantled condition, with the engine cowlings removed. I don't recall any cockpit shots, but there were certainly scenes with armourers at work.
Regarding WW2 Spitfire cockpits in colour, we had a thread on that some months ago. It shouldn't be impossible to locate it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

The 'Camera above the Clouds' series on the work of Charles E Brown published by Airlife (now out of print - try e-bay or www.abebooks.com) have a range of near subject shots too, including some of the above (wasn't the photographer of the 222 Sqn pics CEB, VoyTech?)

If you aren't too fussed of being absolutely sure of your ground, there's a lot of shots of Mk.IX, Hurricane etc which will give you a feel for the look. But do wwatch out for modern photos misleading!@

Member for

20 years 4 months

(wasn't the photographer of the 222 Sqn pics CEB, VoyTech?)

Haven't we had that in another thread, long time ago? RAF Museum Hendon has the copyrights for all CEB photos. Their CEB collection includes a sequence of 222 Sqn Mk VB photos.
Other photos (which may well have been taken during the same session) are held at the IWM. IIRC they are from "an unknown photographer".