Meals for WWII aircrew

Profile picture for user Bmused55

Member for

16 years

Sorry if this sounds a little silly, I was just watching "The Dam Busters" on C4 and noticed that the crews who were going to be flying were only given bread and jam for their meals. One tried to get eggs and bacon but was shown to his bread and jam. Why is this? Was it normal that WWII aircrew would only have a light meal before a mission?
Original post
Profile picture for user galdri

Member for

19 years 9 months

I think I had to do with food rationing. There simply was not enough food to go around. Things like meat, eggs etc. were in seriously short supply, and to normal people it was unobtainable. Flight crew that were 'on' got their treat in a the form of an egg and bacon, those not flying did not.
Profile picture for user Guzzineil

Member for

16 years 7 months

Sorry if this sounds a little silly, I was just watching "The Dam Busters" on C4 and noticed that the crews who were going to be flying were only given bread and jam for their meals. One tried to get eggs and bacon but was shown to his bread and jam. Why is this? Was it normal that WWII aircrew would only have a light meal before a mission?
No, the guy who only got bread n jam WASN'T aircrew, he said something like 'i sort out your wages at the end of the month' so was was ground/admin staff, the crew always got their 'egg'.. ;) Neil
Profile picture for user Mark12

Member for

19 years 9 months

No, the guy who only got bread n jam WASN'T aircrew, he said something like 'i sort out your wages at the end of the month' so was was ground/admin staff, the crew always got their 'egg'.. ;) Neil
Yup. He was the paymaster, actor Arthur Howard and brother of Leslie Howard the more famous wartime actor - 'First of the few' etc. Mark