Hullavington anyone going? i know i am :D

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Vintage stuff is not really my bag - but I live about 5 miles from Hullavington and used to work there - so I will visit.

Is there such a thing as a participants list, or can someone tell me what to expect ??

Or an I being naive ??

Ken

Hmm, I've known you to shoot quite a number of 'vintage planes'. If it's pre 1960 and British, there's a good chance representative examples will be there, weather permitting! Not sure exactly what constitutes 'vintage', but that's a 'ball park' date! No lists, you pays your money and takes your chances as to what turns up! I shall be there revelling in nostalgia :p

Member for

20 years 2 months

I'll be there! We are planning to have the Dove, Prentice, Pembroke, Twin Pin, Dak, Anson and Rapide in attendance so feel free to pop over, have a nose around and say hello!

Tom.

Have you painted a cheatline on Rapide 'IDL yet, or is it still plain white & silver? :rolleyes: Would look nice in Atlantique's current black-belly scheme.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Still plain white and Silver. I think there are a couple of ideas floating around but I imagine it will be a while before anything changes.

Tom.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hmm, I've known you to shoot quite a number of 'vintage planes'. If it's pre 1960 and British, there's a good chance representative examples will be there, weather permitting! Not sure exactly what constitutes 'vintage', but that's a 'ball park' date! No lists, you pays your money and takes your chances as to what turns up! I shall be there revelling in nostalgia :p

Thanks Adrian,

I was begining to think this NG was a 'closed shop' as no-one had replied !!

The BBC weather forecast says Saturday is the better of the two days ('sunny intervals' as opposed to 'light showers' on the Sunday) - so I may go then.

Mind you, the BBC's forecasts are not renowned for their accuracy!!

What is 'revelling' - is that similar to airfixing ?? :D

See you there ??

Ken

PS - I may even iron my Russian 'Flying Legends' T-shirt for the occasion

Member for

20 years 2 months

THAT OLD DEVIL - THE WEATHER!

I also live fairly close to Hullavington and it's 1630 on Friday evening and bucketing down here with 8/8 low-level clouds in a strong wind, with 'sunshine and showers' forecast for tomorrow, so take your wellies guys!
The weather may have a big effect on what does or doesn't turn up! :(

Member for

20 years 2 months

I was planning to go Sunday but they forecast light rain and 19 mph winds on top of Saturdays predictions it's not looking good. Think it will have to be a last minute descion.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Looks like OSH was not being so pessismistic after all.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I can foresee a bit of cloud weaving on the way to the Fly In.
On Saturday, wind for Swindon (as per the BBC) is 17 SW and Bath is 12 SW.
That is right down runway 23, so we should all be just fine. :o

So anyone who has read their briefing will know that, if landing on the hard runway, you continue all the way to the end. If you need to refuel, you must do it after landing, NOT before take off.

The refuelling bowser for 23 is at point F2, that is on the right hand side of the end of the runway. The marshallers will be desperately trying to get you to go down taxiway Bravo to park. You must ignore them if you want fuel.

Then, because of the queue of aircraft for the bowser after landing, they will be stacking back onto the runway, preventing others from landing, which means that aircraft will be circling overhead waiting for permission to land in a circuit growing increasingly busy. This could get exciting.

Somebody please tell me my imagination is running wild, or that there is sufficient queueing space for the bowser.

See you all at Kemble?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hiya, i'm going to have to cancel, things have come up and i'm going to have an early (0500) start on sunday (work :( ) so not going to make it so on saturday i will be will be working on the jet prov instead :) .
best regards.
Greg

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hope to be there tomorrow - boots got destroyed in the swamp that was La Ferte, so looks like digging out the big green wellies - cool !?!
Never been to Hullavington before - anyone know what the ground is like? (ie. is the car park likely to become a sea of mud?)

Member for

19 years 9 months

ladies and gents,
I am very sorry to announce i will NOT be atteneding due to an unforseen problem with cadets. G-ARHP will still be there but with female cadets. im sorry got my hopes up what an idiot i am :(

Member for

20 years 1 month

12.20- its just stopped raining in Chesham, and Bristol is reporting 5/8 broken at 2,000ft, so hopefully some a/c are getting through. Not ideal for the VFR vintage brigade, though. Probably just seaplanes and flying boats this morning!

Member for

24 years 3 months

12.20- its just stopped raining in Chesham, and Bristol is reporting 5/8 broken at 2,000ft, so hopefully some a/c are getting through. Not ideal for the VFR vintage brigade, though. Probably just seaplanes and flying boats this morning!

14:20, Lea, nr Malmesbury

Lots of helicopters overflying my house (5 miles NW of Hullavington) - I assume they are heading there.

Very few fixed-wing movements (at least what I can see).

Maybe tomorrow - if the weather improves...........

Ken

Member for

20 years 2 months

1345ish Cloud broke over Hullavington to reveal something very rare coloured BLUE! 1500 Socked in again with 8/8 cloud more rain accompanied by strong winds picking up!
Weather worse tomorrow - REALLY? :eek: It'll be a brave man/woman who risks his vintage pride and joy getting there!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I tell a lie - a gaggle of singles have just gone over - presumably heading for Kemble ???

Then a DH Dove in the distance over Malmesbury - going Kemble way.

The Dove just went directly over my house - heading back to Hullavington into a worsening clag at about 500 ft.

A torrential downpour has just passed through....

Ken (staying in the warm, building my 1:32 scale Su-27).

Member for

20 years 2 months

I tell a lie - a gaggle of singles have just gone over - presumably heading for Kemble ???

Then a DH Dove in the distance over Malmesbury - going Kemble way.

The Dove just went directly over my house - heading back to Hullavington into a worsening clag at about 500 ft.

A torrential downpour has just passed through....

Ken (staying in the warm, building my 1:32 scale Su-27).

No doubt the Dove is G-OPLC en-route to give joy rides to anyone that wants to risk it!
1515 It's just started to Thunder now... :eek:
Guess it's a modelling day today, Ken? Think'll I'll get a 'sympathy model' out and build a Dragon Rapide.....ohh, another crash of Thunder....time to dive under the duvet and keep the wife company! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 2 months

Just got back from Hullavington - gave up after two hours in the rain showers! Absolutely amazed at how many vintage types braved the elements and got in, including TWO Antonov An-2s, the Air Atlantique fleet of DC-3, G-ANAF with radome, Anson, Twin Pioneer and Pembroke, lots of Austers, Gemini OO-RLD and a Waco, G-WOCO, which was new to me! Well done to all those that made it! :cool:

Member for

19 years 9 months

any warbirds?

Member for

19 years 5 months

The sun DID shine for a while yesterday, luckily just in time for the 'walkabout' around the aircraft.
Wind got up a bit later, a quite a few aircraft departed just before the weather worsened, as did I, and ran through quite a thunderstorm by the time I got near to Kemble.
Few pics anyway...... ;)

Member for

19 years 5 months

and just a few more......
The arrival of Air Atlantiques Dak, Pembroke and Anson in formation during the morning was a nice touch - thanks guys. Pity my photo of it was three dark outlines against a grey sky!
Thanks also to everyone else who ventured through the weather. This was my first G-VFWE, and although I hear it was well down on previous years, I still enjoyed it :)