One of the last true heroes passes on.

Profile picture for user Firebird

Member for

16 years 6 months

Not in anyway related to aviation but I feel very deserving of posting. Smiler Marshall Obitury Incredible to think he fought at Loos, my Great-Uncle, aged 19, was killed there on the first day of the battle on 25th Sept. 1915.......
Original post

Member for

14 years 10 months

Firebird, good post mate. When you read his obituary it brings home the horrors he must have seen at such a young age. A truly remarkable man. My great great uncle KIA at Paschendaele in October 1917. Dave
Profile picture for user Snapper

Member for

19 years 9 months

Goodnight Smiler.
Profile picture for user landyman

Member for

15 years 3 months

lost for words after reading his obituary. can only think of these lines from a song. to the tune of lilly marleine look around the mountains, in the mud and rain see the scattered crosses, some which have no names heart break and sorrow, are all gone the boys beneath them, slumber on with deepest respect... Greg
Profile picture for user Moggy C

Member for

19 years 9 months

Indeed. He joins my Uncle Frank. KIA on the Somme in July 1916, whose body was never identified. 'Smiler' certainly had a bit more chance to live after the war - good on him. Moggy
Profile picture for user SteveYoung

Member for

19 years 9 months

Very humbling... RIP Smiler.
Profile picture for user met24

Member for

16 years 1 month

Smiler Marshall lived next door to my parents. He was often to be found out and about with his 'minder' as my mother called him. A couple of summers back my parents were hosting a party, obviously everybody must have been enjoying themselves as Smiler arrived to see what all the noise was about! 'It's alright Albert, there's no Germans here' was his minder's leaving remark! RIP Smiler.