Competition - Spitfire thingy

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

Yes it's a Spitfire thingy, but what does it do?

Mark12, MOTF, Darren Harbar and Bertie have a 24 hour handicap.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

ive seen these before, cant remember for the love of which part its from

Member for

21 years

Owwwww. No fair, this is the first time I've known the answer.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Groping in the dark, but is it the pitot attachment?

Member for

19 years 11 months

I'll take a stab at saying it has something to do with the fuel system.

RER

Member for

20 years

Not pitot or fuel.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Spitfire quiz

There was one in each wing and they allowed a rope or cable to be passed through so the aircraft could be tied down. At least that is what I beleive they are.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Yup, it's the tie down tubes the rope passes thru in the lower surface of the wings :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Better give Harold a handicap too next time! (and me!!)

Member for

18 years 9 months

Yup, it's the tie down tubes the rope passes thru in the lower surface of the wings :)

That would've been my second guess http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Member for

20 years

It is indeed for tying down purposes. I have yet to see it used even for engine runs.

I didn't think to handicap all Spitfire restorers, I will know for another time.

Member for

24 years 2 months

24 hour handicap indeed!

It is enough to drive 'U' round the bend.

Not for engine runs as it wouldn't hold the tail down and stop the prop 'pecking'. Usually used for long term parking or storage.

Mark

Member for

18 years 10 months

It is indeed for tying down purposes. I have yet to see it used even for engine runs.

A few years back was doing engine runs of MoF's Mk14 at Van Nuys, hot as hell with the temp in the high 90's. To help keep it cool bags of ice were tipped into the rad cowls.
The blast fence backed up to a row of industrial units & the people who worked there parked by the perimeter fence between the building & the blast fence. Got the Spit wound up & the air flow started to suck the ice out of the front of the rad cowls. It was blown back into the blast fence & then went straight up & was landing on the parked cars by the industrial units. I couldn't hear it hitting the cars, but the workers evidently could because suddenly there were a bunch of them outside & then taking cover as they being hit by high velocity ice cubes.
I responded by piling more ice into the rad cowls & *accidently* spiling a couple of 20lb bags right into the prop wash. :diablo: :diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

I didn't think to handicap all Spitfire restorers, I will know for another time.

Dagnabbit.. :p